Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What network do store cards use?

tag
14Fiesta
Established Contributor

What network do store cards use?

I've had this question floating around for awhile now. It seems alot of Synchrony's cards and various other store cards start with a "6". Does that mean that Discover is the network used to process transactions? Also if store cards aren't branded with a network symbol, is there a swipe fee charged when using the card? If so, who charges the fee? 

EX FICO (AMEX): 728 (4/29/17) | TU FICO (Discover): 737 (4/7/17) | EQ FICO (Citi): 746 (3/28/17)
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: What network do store cards use?

@14Fiesta wrote:

I've had this question floating around for awhile now. It seems alot of Synchrony's cards and various other store cards start with a "6". Does that mean that Discover is the network used to process transactions? Also if store cards aren't branded with a network symbol, is there a swipe fee charged when using the card? If so, who charges the fee? 

My guess would be that depending on the major network the issuing bank has a deal with for that particular store (IE: Walmart Mastercard, or Old Navy Visa, or whatever, that is the network they run the store credit cards on. Or, another possibility would be that they dont run on a transaction network from one of the 4 biggies (amex, mastercard, visa, discover) and that the connection is simply directly with the bank. Or the issuing bank has one overlying agreement with one of the big networks to run all their store card transactions. 

I really have no idea though. 

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since the issuer and acquirer are the same, it would be processed on their own network. The merchant terminal would be programmed to handle the transaction skipping visa, MC, amex, etc...
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is the reason why you get that 5% DC using the store card.

This topic will becoming more important as apple pay and Google get into this business.
Message 4 of 11
icyhot
Valued Contributor

Stores are NOT charged swipe fees when you use their store card. That's why they push you so hard to apply and give discounts with them. I once saw someone on here say all stores would prefer you to use cash. Absolutely false. They hate cash. They'd rather you use their card
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@icyhot wrote:
Stores are NOT charged swipe fees when you use their store card. That's why they push you so hard to apply and give discounts with them. I once saw someone on here say all stores would prefer you to use cash. Absolutely false. They hate cash. They'd rather you use their card

Only big Corp want you to use their store card. Why because they get free data on what you like, you spend more, and less employee theft. 

Message 6 of 11
icyhot
Valued Contributor

Any store that offers a store card wants you to use their store card. It only makes them money
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which is why I always get hassled to get a RedCard every time I go to Target when I clearly have 2 bank cards already. 

Message 8 of 11
iv
Valued Contributor

@14Fiesta wrote:

I've had this question floating around for awhile now. It seems alot of Synchrony's cards and various other store cards start with a "6". Does that mean that Discover is the network used to process transactions? 

No.

Discover doesn't "own" 6xxx...  They only control 6011, part of 622, part of 64, and all of 65.

ISO 7812 defines the mapping list of BIN/IIN to network/issuer.

VISA did end up controlling all of 4xxx... but the other major (and minor) networks have 2-6 digit ranges assigned.

Check the ISO 7812 list (for a fee), or use https://www.bindb.com/bin-database.html if you just have a few numbers you are curious about.

EQ8:850 TU8:850 EX8:850
EQ9:847 TU9:847 EX9:839
EQ5:797 TU4:807 EX2:813 - 2021-06-06
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@iv wrote:

@14Fiesta wrote:

I've had this question floating around for awhile now. It seems alot of Synchrony's cards and various other store cards start with a "6". Does that mean that Discover is the network used to process transactions? 

No.

Discover doesn't "own" 6xxx...  They only control 6011, part of 622, part of 64, and all of 65.

ISO 7812 defines the mapping list of BIN/IIN to network/issuer.

VISA did end up controlling all of 4xxx... but the other major (and minor) networks have 2-6 digit ranges assigned.

Check the ISO 7812 list (for a fee), or use https://www.bindb.com/bin-database.html if you just have a few numbers you are curious about.

Very interesting, thanks! (no need for me to go look further, but this answered some questions I've had hanging around.) 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.