cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What’s Your Experience Using Credit Card Overseas?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What’s Your Experience Using Credit Card Overseas?

What’s your experience using credit card overseas? 

Have you ever encountered a problem using EMV Chip & Signature credit card?

Were you ever able to use a magnetic stripe (non EMV) credit card?

Where did you use it and which credit card did you use?

And what are your favorite credit cards when traveling abroad?

Any tips you would like to share?

Thank you! Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What’s Your Experience Using Credit Card Overseas?

I took my first overseas trip in November (to Australia) and used my Chase Sapphire Preferred card exclusively.  I did call well in advance to let Chase know the dates I would be in Austraila and I had no problems whatsover.  I used the card for everything while I was there. It's a chip and signature card so it worked great there as I don't think they allow the use of traditional cards (without the chip).  It varies by country, though.

I think the key is making sure the credit card company knows you will be abroad so that there are no issues.   Anyway, thankfully, I had no issues at all.

Message 2 of 15
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Last trip was also to Australia.  I only took a couple cards:  Amex HHonors, Cap1 Spark, Diners Club, Citi Executive AAdvantage.  Only used Amex, Cap1 and Diners over there and the only thing with Cap1 Spark was they kept handing me the PIN terminal, but it's just a regular signature card so the CSR swiped it and I would hit a bypass button on the PIN terminal (I forgot what those are exactly called) and it would print a customer receipt for me to sign.  No big deal.

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I moved to Germany I notified my local bank (US) and informed them I would be using the card overseas. As I resided abroad I got a German bank Konto and have their credit card and "EC" card. When I traveled to Norway I had no problem using my American cards with the swipe and that trip took me through Germany,Denmark,Sweden,Finnland,Norway and then back south through Finnland (what a long ride south to Helsinki), over the Baltic Sea to Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland and then on to Berlin and back to Wiesbaden. Did this with ZERO issuses and even had to buy Motorcycle tires in Estonia (Tallinn).

So, you will incure what some call a "overseas" charge or "exchange" rate fee for all purchases or at least that is what happens to me when I used mine PLUS I still have my German bank account with my VISA and each time I use that card here in the US I get charged a small fee.

Anyway, hope that helps...BTW, I only have VISA and MASTERCARD

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Make sure you have a card with no Foreign Transaction Fees as a perk.

Message 5 of 15
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

I am using my no FTF cards worldwide and it does not matter chip & signature or magnetic stripe... both work the same way except the insert is slightly different at certain terminals.  Just make sure you have VI and MC as this is accepted everywhere if CCs  are accepted. As for AX or Discover acceptance lack outside the US. All my European cards are chip & pin and the reason why I like this better is that I hate the paperwork with the slips to sign ..Smiley Embarassed... other than that it does not really make much of a difference.  Once you use a card with FTF you will see how fast the 2-3% can add up. 

Message 6 of 15
Kellan
Regular Contributor

Only problem I have ever had was with Discover. I gave use my CSP, United MiliagePlus, Capital One, and Amex card overseas. Just let the banks know when and where your going and you should have no probmems.

EQ: 678
TU: 699
EX: 736
Message 7 of 15
amakol
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

What’s your experience using credit card overseas? 

Have you ever encountered a problem using EMV Chip & Signature credit card?

Were you ever able to use a magnetic stripe (non EMV) credit card?

Where did you use it and which credit card did you use?

And what are your favorite credit cards when traveling abroad?

Any tips you would like to share?

Thank you! Smiley Happy

I've recently been to Italy and Spain for around a month total.

Mag stripes were still doing the job in Italy, even in small towns where I wouldn't expect credit to be accepted. I didn't have any EMV cards at this time but did get asked for one by a few waiters. Once they understood I was American many of them they had an older machine they would return with to process the order. A couple places (metro kiosks, gas stations, a few restaurants) I was forced to use cash but cash usage this trip was maybe 10-15% of total expenses.

Also, Discover (Diners Club) worked at 1/3 of places in Italy. I handed it over and didn't ask if they took it. If the machine gave an error I sent out the VISA or AMEX. Discover was my only 0% foreign fee card at the time so I saved a little bit of money through this process.

Spain was much less mag stripe and generally credit friendly - cash was needed for about 25-30% of expenses. EMV was great even if it was chip/signature priority. Everyone - waiters, cabbies, etc - would have their handheld machines print out a slip to sign and it was easy. Chip/PIN backup was useful for metro kiosks and automated tellers - no problems there either putting the PIN in. Remember to call before you leave the country to set up a PIN if your card has this feature.

The card I used for EMV was Barclays Arrival+. I took a couple others as backup in case anything was lost/stolen but luckily the Barclays was the only one I needed all trip.

EQ 740 FICO, 4 INQ | EX 736 FICO, 5 INQ | TU 745 FICO, 5 INQ | CL $175K | AAOA 4 Years
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great thread and information. Today I did a product (card) conversion so I now have a real travel card and no FTF along with and EMV Chip.
Message 9 of 15
Anomalous
Senior Contributor

When I visited South Africa a couple of years ago, I only had my Cap1 Platinum, which obviously didn't/doesn't have a chip. I signed the receipts and showed my passport when asked. No problems. I'm looking to acquire a good travel card this year so I can have it when I go back to visit family soon.

Keep both your credit and your body in top shape!

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.