big ticket- Amex green

emergency- ? who knows

CSP-$8700, Amex BCE-17.2k, Chase Freedom-$5700
Discover It-$6600, USAA MC-$5900 Ink Bold- $12k United Explorer-$5k
Message 11 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What's Your Favorite CC for Each of These Categories

I find it hard to manage more than 3 cards. I end up forgetting which card to put which purchase on and it becomes a chore to keep track of all the accounts. Kudos to those of you who can do it!

Everyday - Depends on bonus category, otherwise 1% goes on Chase Freedom (my highest CL)

Big Ticket - Amex for ease of claiming purchase protection and other benefits if I ever need to

Emergency - I dunno

Message 12 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't have any non-retail credit cards right now besides a secured card... But...

Everyday: Chase Amazon. (It's the best cash-back card I have right now.)

Big Ticket: Sears Mastercard (The one and probably only real reason to seriously use this card is to take advantage of some very nice deferred interest offers.) and Amazon Store Card (when deferred interest from Amazon is needed)

Emergencies ONLY -- DCU, Old Navy Visa, Walmart Discover

Message 13 of 21
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

Everyday: CSP for Dining, Travel and UR Mall Purchases

Big Ticket & Everything Else: United Club (after first 10k)

Emergencies: BofA Privileges, just in case something happens with Chase or I need an EMV chip

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 14 of 21
Open123
Super Contributor

- Daily spending - CSP for dining, travel, UR Mall and SPG for everything else.

- Big Ticket Items - SPG (Initial 10K on Ritz card)

- Emergency - HSBC Premiere

Message 15 of 21
Blackbeauty212
Frequent Contributor

B.U.M.P 

Message 16 of 21
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@Blackbeauty212 wrote:

Hey long time lerker, learned a lot of great little tidbits on the site... much knowledge here. Well today I decided to jump in and get my feet wet with my first post. 

So here's an Ice Breaker of a question to you all. 

What's your go-to Card for each of these Categories 

Everyday Card: the Card you use for Everyday basic Purchases (Grocery Store, Clothing, Drug Store, Restaurants, Pay Bills with, Buy Gas, Transit Fares, etc) and you Pay it in Full Every Month. 

Big Ticket Card: the Card you use for Big Ticket Purchases (Furniture, Electronics, Appliances, Repairs, Vacations, Uncle Sam Payments, Christmas Shopping, Etc) anything you may need to carry a balance on or charge more than $3K on it at one time. 

Emergencies ONLY / Credit Reporting Purposes ONLY: these Cards are Open Lines but Dormant / Not In Use Cards...You rarely touch these cards if EVER!.....They're only Open to Serve your Credit Report (Average age of Accounts, Debt to Credit Ratio)

For me:

Everyday - Discover Card 

Big Ticket - Citi Thank You Preferred 

Emergency / Credit Reporting ONLY - Capital One Plat (Oldest Card, still with only 1K Credit Limit, LOL), Philly Credit Union Visa, Citi Platinum Select, Amazon Rewards from Chase.

Everyday Card: Chase Freedom AMEX PRG

Big Ticket Card: Barclays Rewards World MC / PSECU Visa

Emergencies ONLY / Credit Reporting Purposes ONLY: Discover IT (Strictly because of lack of CLI's) Chase Freedom

Discover IT is on SD duty.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 17 of 21
enharu
Super Contributor

Everyday: CSP / Freedom (for the 5% categories) / Citi TYP / Cash+ / Discover (only if shopDiscover gives a much better cashback rate). Varies on what I'm trying to buy.

Big Ticket: CSP / Citi TYP / Cash+ / Discover (shopdiscover feature)

Emergency: Wells Fargo for situations where I ever decide to accrue a balance and get charged interest.

Credit Reporting: All cards. Most of my cards have reported high balance of >90% util ratio.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 18 of 21
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

Everyday work horses: Freedom/Discover (5% rotating categories and their respective shopping malls), BCP (groceries and gas - if not currently rotating), all other everyday expenses split between BCP and whichever card is currently being used in 5% rotation.

Big ticket: don't have specific card to use...just depends on statement cut date. Paid vacation stay with HHonors Surpass, but no other charges put on there (hope to combine CL with BCP next year).

Emergency: I put a rotating charge on Cap One and Amex Green to keep open.

Utilization ~2%....strictly for optimizing FICO scores.
AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 19 of 21
Stralem
Established Contributor

Chase Freedom and Discover It are my everyday workhorse cards. Nice rewards all around. Can't wait till the 5% gas rewards for the Discover starts in a few days.

Big ticket cards? I don't really do big ticket purchases on credit... That's always been a "cash only" thing for me.

My other three cards have all been sock drawered since I'm paying them down, so I guess you could consider those my emergency cards.

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.