Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What score version does Citi use?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What score version does Citi use?

Anyone know which score version Citi uses for processing applications? I see that the FICO score they provide with my Aadvantage card says that it is based on Equifax FICO bankcard score. I'd like to get the Costco card since I just became a member there but my Equifax is looking a little bit better that my Experian. Especially in the "recent inquiries" area (2 vs.8). My bankcard scores are also higher across the board. Anybody have any insight? Thanks much in advance! 

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
bigpoppa09
Established Contributor

Re: What score version does Citi use?

@Anonymous wrote:

Anyone know which score version Citi uses for processing applications? I see that the FICO score they provide with my Aadvantage card says that it is based on Equifax FICO bankcard score. I'd like to get the Costco card since I just became a member there but my Equifax is looking a little bit better that my Experian. Especially in the "recent inquiries" area (2 vs.8). My bankcard scores are also higher across the board. Anybody have any insight? Thanks much in advance! 

BankCard 08

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bigpoppa09 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

BankCard 08

Thank you kindly!

Message 3 of 14
bigpoppa09
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@bigpoppa09 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

BankCard 08

Thank you kindly!

U welcome goodluck.

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wondered why they said they used my Experian and my score was 710.  Wonder why my BankCard08 is higher.  Who else uses this score?

Edit: Looks like this focuses on credit cards more. As I have no negative credit card payment history it makes sense it is higher.  

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just because Citi provides the FICO 08 Equifax Bankcard score to customers does not mean that that is what they solely use for credit decisions, including credit cards.  If that was the case then they would not also pull other bureaus like Experian.  Be assured that more goes into their decision than the score provided to us on their website.

Message 6 of 14
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

They dp me when they declined me last year for their Costco Visa. EX and EQ both FICO 8 (NOT Bankcard 8).
New cc TLs : 0/6 ; 0/12 ; 0/24 | HPs EX 3 EQ 3 TU 4 | AAoA 7y10m | UTIL 1% - 4% | $300K+ Total Limits

Message 7 of 14
ridgebackpilot
Established Contributor

Citi pulled Experian when I applied for the Costco VISA card earlier this month. Like many credit card issuers, Citi seems to pull different bureaus in different parts of the country...

Message 8 of 14
pip3man
Valued Contributor

@ridgebackpilot wrote:

Citi pulled Experian when I applied for the Costco VISA card earlier this month. Like many credit card issuers, Citi seems to pull different bureaus in different parts of the country...

Exactly what bureau is selected for credit decisioning is based on two factors - cost and accuracy of data. In markets where there are plenty of data suppliers, the most cost efficient and reputable for providing timely and accurate data is used. In cases where more than one is pulled that's because the primary bureau pulled in that market isn't preferred so a secondary bureau is needed to support and check for additional information that may not be in the primary one.

Message 9 of 14
pip3man
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Just because Citi provides the FICO 08 Equifax Bankcard score to customers does not mean that that is what they solely use for credit decisions, including credit cards.  If that was the case then they would not also pull other bureaus like Experian.  Be assured that more goes into their decision than the score provided to us on their website.

This is absolutely true. Applications for credit are ONLY approved based on these primary factors. The customer's ATP (ability-to-pay) and PTR (probability-to-repay). The ATP is determined by existing debt and income whereas the PTR is measured by the presence of charge offs, bankruptcy, late payments, collections that may be listed on the consumer's credit report. In addition to this, customer must also be able to meet the cut off score for the particular product they're applying for.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.