cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When Will Credit Card Issuers Close Inactive Credit Cards?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

When Will Credit Card Issuers Close Inactive Credit Cards?

Hello! And thank you for checking out my post!

I am hoping someone can tell me how long I can go without using a credit card and not have the Credit Card issuer close the account? I heard 36 months, is that true?

Thank you

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: When Will Credit Card Issuers Close Inactive Credit Cards?

It really depends on the issuer. I had not heard 36 months. That’s an awful long time.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 2 of 14
combatmedic2107
New Contributor

I have some close a few in around 14 months with no use.  I think different cards have different time limits.

Sorry I was not much help

CM2107

Message 3 of 14
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I am hoping someone can tell me how long I can go without using a credit card and not have the Credit Card issuer close the account? I heard 36 months, is that true?

Thank you

Depending on CC provider 4 months to never.

Some providers never close an account and others will after 4-6 months.

You should put a small charge on each card every 3-4 months to be sure to keep it open

If you list your cards, you will get data points for those cards, but it is safe with every 3.

Message 4 of 14
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Citi has said 2 years to me and a few others here.

Amex has a reputation for keeping them open despite several years of inactivity. Something similar for Chase. Of course, there can be exceptions and practices can change.

Barclays is one of the quicker ones, at least for no-AF cards. Some reports of 6 months.

Keep in mind some banks are jittery about a recession. Discover said on Oct. 25 that they have been closing inactive accounts to reduce contingent risk. The earnings call transcript says $30B of closures since 2017, though that sounds so high it might be a typo!

It's always worthwhile asking whether it's worth keeping a card you don't use. Perhaps it has some special feature you might want available, or a high limit to pad your overall utilization.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 5 of 14
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

I've personally never had one close before about 2 years of inactivity.  DW currently has a NASA FCU card that has not been used for 21 months and it's still open (she just never got around to calling to close it).  Her J.C. Penney card opened in 1992 was finally closed about 4 years ago after being unused for at least 10 years; wish I had known it was still open so we could have saved that account for AAoA padding!  I have a Fingerhut account on one credit bureau that I used once back in the 90s, but at some point they changed lenders and reported it as opened in 2003 and "closed for inactivity" by lender in 2013.

Since discovering these forums, I've been pretty good about cutting the fat when it comes to unnecessary cards.  The ones I rarely or never use, I'll put a small charge on every 4-6 months.  I know Amex would likely let me go much longer on my Blue card, but due to its age I don't want to close it so that and DW's CapOne card see Amazon gift card balance reloads every 4 months.

Message 6 of 14
Gmood1
Super Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

I've personally never had one close before about 2 years of inactivity.  DW currently has a NASA FCU card that has not been used for 21 months and it's still open (she just never got around to calling to close it).  Her J.C. Penney card opened in 1992 was finally closed about 4 years ago after being unused for at least 10 years; wish I had known it was still open so we could have saved that account for AAoA padding!  I have a Fingerhut account on one credit bureau that I used once back in the 90s, but at some point they changed lenders and reported it as opened in 2003 and "closed for inactivity" by lender in 2013.

Since discovering these forums, I've been pretty good about cutting the fat when it comes to unnecessary cards.  The ones I rarely or never use, I'll put a small charge on every 4-6 months.  I know Amex would likely let me go much longer on my Blue card, but due to its age I don't want to close it so that and DW's CapOne card see Amazon gift card balance reloads every 4 months.

B-town Baller, you should be safe with Amex. As long as a card under your account gets some use. Amex considers the entire account active.

Message 7 of 14
CountryLivin
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you

I've had two store cards get closed and it was less then a year.....Wayfair and True Value.

Message 8 of 14
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Gmood1 wrote:

B-town Baller, you should be safe with Amex. As long as a card under your account gets some use. Amex considers the entire account active.

That's good to know.  The rest of my accounts get "some" use.  LOL  Also realized I made a typo; DW has had no activity on the NASA card for 31 months, not 21.

Message 9 of 14
Gmood1
Super Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@Gmood1 wrote:

That's good to know.  The rest of my accounts get "some" use.  LOL  Also realized I made a typo; DW has had no activity on the NASA card for 31 months, not 21.

This is good to know! I have a recurring Dollar Shave charge on my NASA CC. 

I want to hold on to it as long as I can. It's over 3 years old now.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.