Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When do amex points post?

tag
red259
Super Contributor

When do amex points post?

I'm wondering when amex points post to the account for both spend and the signup bonus. I know they changed the length of time for points posting for signup bonuses posting to several weeks (or at least they said they have but I dunno if they are doing that for all accounts in practice), but I'm a bit suprised that the points from my spend have not posted yet even though the statement cut and everything is PIF. Are they posting regular spend points at the end of each calendar month instead? If they are posting spend points at the end of the calendar month and since my statement cuts mid-month does that mean I can spend now and assuming the transactions clear in time then get the earned spend points at the end of this month before my next statement cuts? 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: When do amex points post?

Points earned based on spend go pending at the closing of that billing cycle and are then released for use at the closing of the billing cycle after that. Points earned as part of a welcome offer are released upon fulfillment of the terms and conditions of the offer.
Message 2 of 8
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Amex definitely has the longest lag time of any major card issuer for posting points earned through regular spending.  Supposedly this lag time has its origins in the days when their only cards were charge cards, and the points weren't posted until the payment was made (sort of like how Citi Double Cash handles the second 1%).  Amex has the same lag time with their Blue Cash Everyday and Blue Cash Preferred credit cards:  I used to buy groceries in February and not see the cash rewards until the April statement.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 3 of 8
redpat
Senior Contributor

One other point (lol), If you have a MR point business card and use a open vendor the extra points post when the transaction clears.  I thought that was interesting when I saw extra points post from my HP and Hertz purchases.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 4 of 8
red259
Super Contributor

Belated thanks for the answers. I just had the same question again and searched because I knew I asked it before. That is an interesting comment about points posting quicker on the open vendors. I don't really utilize that feature much and should look closer at it. 

;
Message 5 of 8
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

The above posters are correct in terms of general spend.

With regards to welcome offers. I’ve always had mine show up within 2 business days of meeting the required spend.

I hit the required spend on my ED card yesterday and received the 25K in points this morning.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 6 of 8
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

In addition to welcome bonuses, retention bonuses and MRs earned through Amex Offers also post as soon as the charge has finalized, usually 2 business days.  Basically anything "extra" usually posts right away, but everything else earned through your charges themselves post on the next statement.

Message 7 of 8
red259
Super Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

In addition to welcome bonuses, retention bonuses and MRs earned through Amex Offers also post as soon as the charge has finalized, usually 2 business days.  Basically anything "extra" usually posts right away, but everything else earned through your charges themselves post on the next statement.

Thanks for pointing this out. I never really paid attention before but I have an amazon offer that will net me 2k for spending $50+ so I should get on that right away.

;
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.