cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When is the Annual Fee Charged on Your Account?

tag
Beast26
Frequent Contributor

When is the Annual Fee Charged on Your Account?

Like the title says the only annual fee card I've had was open sky and they charged the annual fee immediately after getting approved.  Are other annual fee cards like this or do they actually wait 12 months to charge the annual fee?

Revolving history: 2 years 4months across the board
AAoA:
TU: 5yrs 10months
EX: 2yrs 2 months
EQ: ~5yrs 6 months
Inquiries: Ex: 1/12. EQ: 1/12 Tu: 1/12
As of 10-5-2020

Quicksilver $3,000
Discover It Miles $17,500
Chase Freedom Flex $4,400
Amazon Prime Store Card $6,000
Walmart MC $2,500
Wells Fargo Active Cash $8,000
Citi Custom Cash $8,400
Verizon Visa $20,000
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: When is the Annual Fee Charged on Your Account?

Unless the card has a signup offer where they waive the first year's AF like AMEX's BCP or in-branch offers like Chase's Sapphire Preferred, banks will charge the annual fee the first month

Message 2 of 7
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@simplynoir wrote:

Unless the card has a signup offer where they waive the first year's AF like AMEX's BCP or in-branch offers like Chase's Sapphire Preferred, banks will charge the annual fee the first month

Indeed. When I upgraded to Amex BCP recently, it stated quite clearly that the annual fee would be waived for a year, then charged after that.

OP, do you have screenshots or hardcopies of what you agreed to?

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 3 of 7
Beast26
Frequent Contributor

I was asking to be sure before I decided to apply for anything.  Thanks for you guys' replies.  I wasn't sure so I had to ask.

Revolving history: 2 years 4months across the board
AAoA:
TU: 5yrs 10months
EX: 2yrs 2 months
EQ: ~5yrs 6 months
Inquiries: Ex: 1/12. EQ: 1/12 Tu: 1/12
As of 10-5-2020

Quicksilver $3,000
Discover It Miles $17,500
Chase Freedom Flex $4,400
Amazon Prime Store Card $6,000
Walmart MC $2,500
Wells Fargo Active Cash $8,000
Citi Custom Cash $8,400
Verizon Visa $20,000
Message 4 of 7
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@Beast26 wrote:

I was asking to be sure before I decided to apply for anything.  Thanks for you guys' replies.  I wasn't sure so I had to ask.

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood your question!

In general, yes, annual fees are charged immediately, but that varies so widely that it's not carved in stone. As with my Amex BCP, the upgrade offer I had waived the AF for the first year. Not all cards do that.

But all cards SHOULD tell you as you're going through the application/acceptance process how/when you'll be charged its AF.

If in doubt, ask! Call the card company and ask. Better safe than sorry. And it's best to ask the company directly, rather than rely on a forum like this; no matter how good a forum is, its members don't know the specific details of an offer YOU may be accepting. Yours could be different from one someone else had, even if it sounds the same (same name, or same time period with 0% interest, etc.). Best to go to the source.

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 5 of 7
chijo
Established Member

Yes, each company can give different terms for sure at different times. Best to ask each time to be sure. Many I have talked to have never seen Cap 1's no fee offer for their Quicksilver card, but that's the deal I got offered. I don't usually see their no fee deal on those "credit expert" sites that offer credit cards as an affiliate thing. Maybe for grins you could do a search for the name of  card you might want and add the phrase no annual fee after it and see what comes up.

Message 6 of 7
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@Beast26 wrote:

Like the title says the only annual fee card I've had was open sky and they charged the annual fee immediately after getting approved.  Are other annual fee cards like this or do they actually wait 12 months to charge the annual fee?

I've only had two cards in my life with an annual fee, both charged it right up front.  As others have stated, many financial institutions will waive the annual fee for the first year, and others will waive it in subsequent years upon request on a case by case basis.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.