cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When should I cancel my rebuilder cards?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

When should I cancel my rebuilder cards?

I am fairly new to the forums, I am working on rebuilding my credit I started off about 3 years ago with scores in the low 500's I currently have a 300 dollar balance on an orchard card that I have have for about 4 years it is my oldest account that is open it has a zero balance. How long should I keep this card activated? Most recent score was equifax 640. Pulled on score watch.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: When should I cancel my rebuilder cards?

@Anonymous wrote:
I am fairly new to the forums, I am working on rebuilding my credit I started off about 3 years ago with scores in the low 500's I currently have a 300 dollar balance on an orchard card that I have have for about 4 years it is my oldest account that is open it has a zero balance. How long should I keep this card activated? Most recent score was equifax 640. Pulled on score watch.

I would wait until you have several other cards open ~ FICO likes to see at least two or three open revolving accounts.    How many other cards do you have open besides the Orchard card ?

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I closed the two Capitol One cards I used to establish credit right after I opened my 2nd and 3rd prime cards.  Once you have a number of open prime cards with nice credit limits, then you can consider closing (re)builder cards.  Until then, those cards are helping you establish positive history and should stay open.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have 3 other credit cards. In which I'm in the process of paying off. I want to cancel orchard before they charge me the annual fee of 75 dolllars in which will be due in about 7 month so plenty of time to get my balances paid off on the other cards.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Perfect thank you. I am trying to get my util Down the. I will apply for a prime card. All I can get now are low balance cap 1. Or store cards. But my score is increasing nicely as I was a out 95% utilization as of two mo the ago I'm down to about 70% right now and my eq went up 30 points on that alone. I should be below 50% within 6 weeks. Thanks for the answers.
Message 5 of 7
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

That Orchard will soon be a Capital One card.    See what they do with it before making your decision.

Message 6 of 7
TATATA
Regular Contributor

FYI - 

If you tell them that you want to close your account due to the annual fee, most likely they will waive it to keep you. I would close the account, if they still want to charge you the annual fee. They waived the annual fee twice for me. 

Total CL's combine: $150,600.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.