cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to Ask For Increase vs Apply for New Card - Lowering Balance/Available Ratio

tag
RSX
Valued Contributor

Re: When to Ask For Increase vs Apply for New Card - Lowering Balance/Available Ratio

get your util below 4% if possible - then go for the USAA CLI

SP on the Sync card after 3 months - you can do that every month if you want

then get a new card after Sync turns 6 months old

3 months shouldnt impact your mortgage app. -though this should be your last application until after you get the mortgage

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 11 of 17
firefox100
Valued Contributor

Re: When to Ask For Increase vs Apply for New Card - Lowering Balance/Available Ratio

Ok from you say your credit lines are small, so just take your time again I would put lot of spend on your Amzon account and make shore you pay it off before it reports to the Cb. Some time after six months apply for PayPal creditcard, I think Synchrony is easy to get approved for account. It is going to take time to build up your credit file and the ball rolling, good luck.

Message 12 of 17
RSX
Valued Contributor

since the OP only has 2 cards and one is already Sync, i would suggest a Discover/Chase/Amex for the third card  = diversify

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 13 of 17
firefox100
Valued Contributor

Ok the reason for applying with Synchrony bank is you already have relationship with Synb and you haver higher chance of getting approved with Synchrony then any other lender at this time. We are in very different times and old rules may not apply, JMO.

Message 14 of 17
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

In addition to what's mentioned above, and as long as you're opted-in for pre-screening offers, try the pre-qualification portals for lenders like Chase, AmEx, BB&T, BBVA, etc.

The following link/thread can provide some guidance on which lenders use SP for pre-qualified CC offers:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/List-of-Soft-pull-PREAPPROVALs-New-Link-10-21...

Message 15 of 17
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@firefox100 wrote:

Ok the reason for applying with Synchrony bank is you already have relationship with Synb and you haver higher chance of getting approved with Synchrony then any other lender at this time. We are in very different times and old rules may not apply, JMO.

@firefox100, having an existing relationship with SYNCB doesn't always translate into being approved for any of their other products as evidenced in a variety of DPs and threads on these forums.  

The OP should decide on what product (if any) would be best suited for their profile rather than push another CC that may not align or provide the benefits with their lifestyle.

Message 16 of 17
Jazee
Regular Contributor

@RSX I like your plan. Will follow it.

@FinStar I was wonder about the existence of a prequal app list.  Immensely helpful. Thank you!  That way I review that list and see which card(s) best match my needs and FICO score at the time and see which one will prequal me for the highest amount.

Thanks everyone.  These forums have been extremely educational and helpful.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.