Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to apply for Amex BCP after PRG

tag
angryfob2

When to apply for Amex BCP after PRG

Thanks everyone (especially rlx01) for all the help in:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/CSP-denied-due-to-short-history-AMEX/m-p/2667415#M76204...

I just got Amex PRG approved online and locked in the member since date!!! I understand that subsequent applications will now be a soft pull. How does that work? If I now just apply online for BCP, will that not be a HP?

Also, if I get BCP, and later on cancel PRG (say in 1 year, before the $175 fee kicks in), what does that do to my average age of credit? 

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
LearningMoreAboutCredit
Frequent Contributor

Re: When to apply for Amex BCP after PRG

@angryfob2 wrote:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/CSP-denied-due-to-short-history-AMEX/m-p/2667415#M76204...

I just got Amex PRG approved online and locked in the member since date!!! I understand that subsequent applications will now be a soft pull. How does that work? If I now just apply online for BCP, will that not be a HP?

Also, if I get BCP, and later on cancel PRG (say in 1 year, before the $175 fee kicks in), what does that do to my average age of credit? 

SP if denied, HP if approved.  Your MSD will be the same as original app (PRG).  To maximize your MSD on BCE, apply in Jan 2014...BCE will appear on reports as opened 01/2013, therefore, giving you an additional 11-12 months (math is off today Smiley Surprised)  PRG is a charge card which means you pay balance in full every month.  BCE is a revolver which you can pay minimum but PIF is encouraged.  AAoA will improve with successful BCE app.  Closed positive accounts will report up to 10 years after closure...HTH

ETA: If you app for both cards today, it can result in 2 HP's.

Any advice given is always YMMV...

Current FICOs: 740+ across the board | Goal: >760 FICO | Total CLs: $63.3k/$60k Goal | Utilization: 19% | Last App: 05/01/2014 | INQ: EX: 10, EQ: 8, TU: 5, All Expire 06/2016; No Collections/Charge Offs/BK's | AAoA: 7yrs.
| All Reports Frozen!!! | No Apps til 12/2015 | Homeowner since: 06/28/13 | White Whales: Marriott Rewards, Discover IT, Sallie Mae WMC, Sams MC
Message 2 of 15
DavidZeng
Regular Contributor

If you got PRG, you can app for BCP on the same day! If both approved only 1 HP(  1 HP on EX for two cards!)

I tested it just a few days ago when I got instant apporved for Green, I app for BCP at once, Bang, Instant 2000(no additional HP for this).

Message 3 of 15
Fico2Go
Established Contributor

I also Did a PRG and BCP back to back on 12/02/2013.  Both approved.  Only 1 EX  HP.  

Discover IT $19,000 == 12/2013
AMEX 12/2013 ---BCP $12,000 === BC $23,000 ----- 04/2014
CHASE SLATE $5,700 === 12/2013
BoA 123 $6000 === 12/2013
Barclay Rewards $1500 == 12/2013
Message 4 of 15
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

@LearningMoreAboutCredit wrote:

@angryfob2 wrote:

SP if denied, HP if approved.  Your MSD will be the same as original app (PRG).  To maximize your MSD on BCE, apply in Jan 2014...BCE will appear on reports as opened 01/2013, therefore, giving you an additional 11-12 months (math is off today Smiley Surprised)  PRG is a charge card which means you pay balance in full every month.  BCE is a revolver which you can pay minimum but PIF is encouraged.  AAoA will improve with successful BCE app.  Closed positive accounts will report up to 10 years after closure...HTH

This is correct. Wait till January, you will get it backdated to 01/2013

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 5 of 15
rlx01
Established Contributor

If you want 2 cards for (probably) 1HP: do it right now.

If you want AAoA increase in lieu of another HP: do it in January (choose this option. Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 15
angryfob2

Thanks everyone!

Sorry for reviving, I didn't check "Email me when someone replies" so I thought nobody's replying to me Smiley Happy

Just to make sure I understand correctly:

(1) When you apply for an amex card, do you get the month of application, but the year of MSD? So if I apply now for BCP, I'll get 12/2013, but if I apply in Jan, I'll get 1/2013. This is super weird!!!

(2) If I apply and don't get BCP then it's just a SP because I'm an Amex member. How do they know that I'm an Amex member? Through the SSN? How long until I'm "in the system"?

(3) If I apply in Jan and do get BCP, it *is* an HP.

(4) If I apply now (2 days since previous app), and I get BCP, it *might* be an HP.

(5) AAoA win due to (1) is more important for my credit than the HP win due to (3)-(4), given that I want to apply for CSP soon.

Message 7 of 15
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@armbenderc wrote:

@LearningMoreAboutCredit wrote:

@angryfob2 wrote:

This is correct. Wait till January, you will get it backdated to 01/2013

+1 backdating goodness rocks. Lessens the impact of a new TL, a second INQ is a small ding, 11 months of backdating could be big all depends on your file.

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 8 of 15
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@angryfob2 wrote:

Thanks everyone!

Sorry for reviving, I didn't check "Email me when someone replies" so I thought nobody's replying to me Smiley Happy

Just to make sure I understand correctly:

(1) When you apply for an amex card, do you get the month of application, but the year of MSD? So if I apply now for BCP, I'll get 12/2013, but if I apply in Jan, I'll get 1/2013. This is super weird!!! Yes, as long as you are the primary.  ACMs do not get backdating on their CRs

(2) If I apply and don't get BCP then it's just a SP because I'm an Amex member. How do they know that I'm an Amex member? Through the SSN? How long until I'm "in the system"? Once you are approved, technically you're in the system. It is rare but a few have encountered HP's on declines 

(3) If I apply in Jan and do get BCP, it *is* an HP. yes

(4) If I apply now (2 days since previous app), and I get BCP, it *might* be an HP.  Probably will, ESP since there was a delay of 48 hours

(5) AAoA win due to (1) is more important for my credit than the HP win due to (3)-(4), given that I want to apply for CSP soon.

Message 9 of 15
Marcos8
Established Contributor

Does anyone with both BCP and PRG feel that the catagories compete too much to justify both?

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.