Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which to App for?

tag
ficochat
New Contributor

Which to App for?

Hello,

After years of hard work cleaning up my credit - my scores are (lender pull - just bought a camper) 820 TU, 768 EQ, and 706 Exp (3 old medical collections only showing on EXP which are my only baddies.  TU and EQ are clean).  I have 4 sub-prime cards and would like to app for 1 or 2 prime cards but don't want to waste an inquiry.  My income is six figures and my utility is <3%.  What could I apply for and have a good chance of obtaining?  Smiley Happy  My Average age is 4-5 years and the only inquiries i would have is for the camper.  Thanks for your input!  I don't NEED a credit card - so I just want to app for a prime card or 2 to baby in my wallet Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 45
44 REPLIES 44
dodfire
Valued Contributor

Re: Which to App for?

How old are the collections?

What sub-prime cards do you have?

How long have you had them?

What are the limits/balances?

*8/10/13
Message 2 of 45
ficochat
New Contributor

Hi, thanks for the reply.

The medical collections are from 2009

I have:

Merrick bank - $1400

Credit one bank  - $450

Orchard bank/cap one - $300

First National CC - $550

I have had them all about 2 -3 years

the balances are zero on all 3 except about $80 on Merrick Bank

I also have a 10 year mortgage and an open 2 year old auto loan.  2 older closed auto loans

Message 3 of 45
dodfire
Valued Contributor

I would say you can pretty much take your pick of any card you want... Smiley Happy

Now just figure out what you are looking for.

Cash Rewards?

Points?

Perks?

Do you travel?

Where do you see yourself using your card most of the time?

*8/10/13
Message 4 of 45
ficochat
New Contributor

I mostly see myself using it for everyday purchases, paying in full, and earning rewards would be great. 

We do travel but it's mostly just a trip or 2 to Florida each year with our little ones. 

I would like to get something that would grow as obviously the subprime cards don't really grow their limits and I would like to have a much higher limit at some point in the future. 

Message 5 of 45
dodfire
Valued Contributor

I do not see you having a problem getting approved for some great cards.

American Express 

BCE or BCP are good cards for cash back on daily purchases.

SPG is great for hotels at Starwood properties

Chase CSP is great for travel but you need to travel quite a bit to get the benefit in my opinion.

Discover has a great rewards program and lots of discounts shopping online.

Citi has a great line up but offer more point rewards than they do cash back.

*8/10/13
Message 6 of 45
bossmann
New Visitor

Citi bank would be a great choice to start

Leave Amex for the last app

Message 7 of 45
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I say Citi - If paying in full one of the partner cards would probably be most rewarding

Discover it for sure!

Chase of some variety if you wish

Who do you bank with?

I would start with the pre-approvals at Citi, Chase, and Bank of America.... take one of those if they offer it!

I would also apply for 2 if not 3 new cards.... if you apply for 2 and get approved but blah limits, wait a month or two for those to start reporting and then go apply for another 2-3 cards.... you need to wash these TERRIBLE cards down the toilet after.

However isn't the one bank you have a good one, the last one you listed (sorry can't see on screen im on... ask them for CLI but apply for new first so if you talk to them and they don't give you lots more you can be like that isn't even close... you want to play or close.

Message 8 of 45
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Discover and Chase freedm for your 5% categories and BCE for gas and groceries daily. Good trio!!!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 9 of 45
ficochat
New Contributor

I bank with BOA and with a local credit union. 

Pretty much all 4 of the cards I have currently are junk so I would like to just let them be a thing of the past and have solid cards in rotation in my wallet. 

Discover sounds like it might be a good one to get

When you say a partner card of Citi - what do you mean by that please?

Thank you!

Message 10 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.