cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who is making the switch to Amex with new PRG release?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Who is making the switch to Amex with new PRG release?

Are you making the switch to Amex and membership reward system with the new PRG release?  Why or why not?  

My main reasons for not making the switch from Chase...yet!

1.  After breaking down my expected yearly expenses, I essentially had no point difference between Amex and Chase.(Chase still came out a little ahead)

2.  Majority of my flights are domestic and the Reserves 50% multiplier and Southwest Transfer partner still look like the better option for getting the cheapest flights possible.

17 REPLIES 17
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Who is making the switch to Amex with new PRG release?

I'd take 4x MRs on dining over 3x URs, but the marginal value is small...and I had the card from 2014-2016, so no bonus for me. I have very little traditional grocery spend.

If it still looks good in a few years I might get it again, mostly for the bonus.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

I'd take 4x MRs on dining over 3x URs, but the marginal value is small...and I had the card from 2014-2016, so no bonus for me. I have very little traditional grocery spend.

If it still looks good in a few years I might get it again, mostly for the bonus.

Yeah as a single guy with no kids, the 4xpoints grocery spend is a lot less useful for me.  The 5x bonuses of the freedom and 5x points with amazon (through ink card with office depot gift card purchase) gives the point edge to Chase in my situation.

Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not necessarily making the switch, but I was in the market for Sapphire Preferred/Reserve prior to the switch. Ended up going with the Gold Card... I'm a foody so it made sense to get that card. Delivery through Grubhub 2-3 times a week, out to eat 1-2 times a week, and always trying new stuff for dinner in the kitchen when time permits. Card just made more sense for my spend.
Message 4 of 18
iced
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Are you making the switch to Amex and membership reward system with the new PRG release?  Why or why not?  

My main reasons for not making the switch from Chase...yet!

1.  After breaking down my expected yearly expenses, I essentially had no point difference between Amex and Chase.(Chase still came out a little ahead)

2.  Majority of my flights are domestic and the Reserves 50% multiplier and Southwest Transfer partner still look like the better option for getting the cheapest flights possible.

I'm still leaning UR, even with the changes.

1. I get more value per UR than I do MR. UR transfers to airline partners that I consistently get good valuation on. MR for me is only useful as a transfer to Delta, and those are called SkyPesos for a reason. 3x UR on dining still goes further for me than 4x dining MR.

2. If I had a Gold, I'd throw one meal a month on the Gold to get the $10 credit then go right back to CSR for dining. Also not a great reason to carry yet another card. The $300 credit on the CSR counts with any travel expense (ferry tickets, for instance) and the excess is getting 3x UR. I'm not diverting excess spend beyond the credit to another card like I would with the Gold.

3. Aside from 4x dining (see above), there isn't much on it that's worth moving to. The airfare I've bought this year averages around $900 per person, and I don't feel like taking 3x MR and/or breaking travel so I only book one person on Gold once per year just to save $100. I'd rather just take the 5x on the Platinum and save the time.

4. I still need a primary that's not American Express. Their acceptance rate internationally is just not on par with Visa.

I'll stick with CSR/Platinum for now. I use the Platinum for airfare (5x), the occasional pre-paid hotel when Marriott/Hilton isn't an option, SkyClub access when I fly solo (which is a lot), Uber credits (but will continue to use CSR for Uber), and Boingo. All other travel and dining goes on the CSR. Non dining/travel currently goes on MP Club, though that might become a FU as my United flying is dropping such that I don't use the UC like I used to.

Message 5 of 18
QuakerOatmeal
Regular Contributor

I have the Platinum card, and I had applied and was approved for the Everyday Preferred, to replace my PRG. 

But now that they made all these shifts, I kinda want to keep my PRG, and get rid of the Everyday Preferred.

I'm a bit disappointed that I'm going to get hit with the new AF (mine renews in Nov) if I decide to keep the PRG.

I feel like the Platinum for 5x points for airfare, and the PRG are a perfect combo now. Heck, I may even consider just keeping the PRG.

A little sad about the nerf to gas points though.

Message 6 of 18
fittiger
Frequent Contributor

I'm kinda new to MR, but have been earning UR for a while with Freedom/CSR/Ink but have been questioning which program I would like to focus on.

I have the BBP and recently the PRG which makes me think I may switch over to MR for a while.  My biggest reservation is that I haven't figured out a plan of use of MR, except for Delta flights to Europe; that and I have limited use for the dining credit in my area.

From what I can tell, UR has many more options for me, but I'll do some more research to see if I can find additional benefits out of MR.

I created a spreadsheet to figure out my rate of return for both based off average yearly spend on Dining/Travel/Groceries, and just the Gold vs CSR I get 10% back on gold and 5.3% back from CSR (based on TPG values of 1.9c/2.0c respectively).....thats a huge difference, but I'm not sure MR are as practical for me.

Message 7 of 18
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

The main reasons I have even thought about this card is the way chase has been gutting the UR system. Losing KE is a pretty big deal to me ,  so with Amex there are much more partners to choose from . With that being said I am not totally 100% into Amex , i will probably split between MR and UR , i have freedom unlimited, ink , CSP and regular freedom to split between the two

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 8 of 18
redpat
Senior Contributor

Well I moved all my AA purchases (biz & personal) to plat for 5x and now I'll move all my dining (biz & personal) for 4x from CSR.

That's about 39k more points on the same spend, no brainer. 

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 9 of 18
kerplunk
Frequent Contributor

@redpat wrote:

Well I moved all my AA purchases (biz & personal) to plat for 5x and now I'll move all my dining (biz & personal) for 4x from CSR.

That's about 39k more points on the same spend, no brainer. 

Isn't it 3x from the CSR for dining?

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.