cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would you get a new credit card for $3 more a month?

tag
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

Re: Would you get a new credit card for $3 more a month?

Let me think about it from only one perspective....  Amex vs. CapOne.......   nuff said and you already pulled the trigger in the right direction, haven't you?  Come on, you will be happy you did it.  

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 21 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Having an AMEX in your wallet will benefit you in the event you go somewhere and the CapitalOne card is not accepted.  It's rare, but it happens.  The AMEX card should have a sign-up bonus to boot and as stated earlier AMEX offers are pretty cool.  I usually use one per quarter, but they account for some nice savings each time. 

You mentioned that you don't spend enough to meet minumum spend earlier.  I do have a solution for you.  I'm not sure how you pay your insurances, but insurer takes credit card payments so when my annual or semi-annual bill is up I tend to get a new card to meet minimum spend. 

Message 22 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HeavenOhio wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Note that Amex BCE is pretty picky about which grocery stores get the 2% cash back. For example Whole Foods, a health food grocery store chain, isn't counted. Read the fine print on what's included.

That's interresting. AMEX says that Whole Foods counts as a supermarket.

American Express Rewards –How to Earn Rewards for Retail Purchases

Interesting, thanks. I dunno if they changed it or what. Good to know!

Message 23 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

What place are you going to that takes Amex and not MC or Visa? I know of no place that does that since the switch from Costco from Amex to Visa. Amex has a higher swipe fee, so most merchants that don't take all major cards don't take Amex and possibly Discover.
Message 24 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is rare, but it may happen.  I have had a couple of instances where a merchant only accepted an obscure card and I know others that have too.  Again, very rare.  I've always felt it's a good idea to carry an AMEX, Mastercard, Visa and Discover card in your wallet. 

Message 25 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

It is rare, but it may happen.  I have had a couple of instances where a merchant only accepted an obscure card and I know others that have too.  Again, very rare.  I've always felt it's a good idea to carry an AMEX, Mastercard, Visa and Discover card in your wallet. 

+1

Message 26 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
You don't spend more than $25 a week on groceries and gas? How do you like so cheap?

Well, speaking just for myself, I spend between $50-70 a week on groceries, but I only spend about $30-$35 a month on gas (buying at Costco), since my daily travel M-F is a 10-12 mile round trip to/from the train station to commute and I haven't done much if any driving outside my immediate locality in my own car (as opposed to rental) for the last couple of years until I finally replaced the thing at the beginning of this month.

Message 27 of 44
Chris679
Established Contributor

No for just the $3 per month but yes to the BCE for other reasons like Amex offers and extended warranty. I have used the extended warranty and it lives up to the hype. I know lots of cards say they have extended warranty but I doubt they are as easy to use as Amex.
Message 28 of 44
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@HeavenOhio wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Note that Amex BCE is pretty picky about which grocery stores get the 2% cash back. For example Whole Foods, a health food grocery store chain, isn't counted. Read the fine print on what's included.

That's interresting. AMEX says that Whole Foods counts as a supermarket.

American Express Rewards –How to Earn Rewards for Retail Purchases

Interesting, thanks. I dunno if they changed it or what. Good to know!

Certainly hasn't changed, I've been using it there since the BCP came out.   There was a period maybe two or three years ago where due to a bug certain WF stores weren't counted.   If you complained, Amex corrected it, and if you didn't, they didn't, which while understandable isn't great customer service.....

Message 29 of 44
deltatee
Frequent Contributor

I second what others have said: I wouldn't open the BCE for $3/m (assuming everything codes as expected).  However, Amex does have some really great other benefits that keep it in my portolio: Amex Offers, FICO Score, awesome authorized user management, and preferred ticket seating and presale (I use this a surprising amount).

Message 30 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.