cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wow Citizens is really trying to charge interest on.....

tag
AzCreditGuy
Established Contributor

Wow Citizens is really trying to charge interest on.....

So I just got a huge suprise on my BT I did with Citizens. I did a BT for $4500 and was charged a BT fee of 5% which was $225

I noticed a $3.75  interest rate charge that was being applied to the $225 BT fee and I when I called up, I was told that since my account has been opened for a while now I am out of the introductory period??? And they state this on the BT offer 

**bleep** is this garbage? I have never been paid any interest on the BT fee with other banks that I have done a BT with? 

Has anyone else experienced this? 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Wow Citizens is really trying to charge interest on.....

I guess they aren't kidding when they state that their policy is to suspend the grace period on their cards when a balance transfer is in play unless all charges including the BT are paid off in full by the next statement date.   :-(

(9/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 2 of 9
Kforce
Valued Contributor

Would think the 5% fee was enough.

No....  they need a few dollars interest on top.

Message 3 of 9
AzCreditGuy
Established Contributor

I end up saving the promo check veribage....I missed what I highlighted, but never would I think they are talking about when I opened my CC account. I find this pretty shady AF since my account was opened in 2019 and they know that my account is no longer in the introductory period...WOW 

IMG_2465.jpg

Message 4 of 9
Xanthos472
Regular Contributor

Ran into this myself when using a BT check. When I spoke with a rep, he said this is standard and that the solution is to pay the BT fee off right away. Once I paid the BT fee (plus a little bit over, just in case) it acted like any other BT offer.

Cap 1 QS #1 2.5K Cap 1 QS#2 16K | Citi DC 6410 Citi SYW 3K | Synch 2% 10K | Disco IT 11.3K | Disco Miles 10.6K | CFF 2.4K | Amex BCE 6K EDP 6.2K Schwab 3K | Citizen's 1.8% 12.2K | Wells Cashwise #1 17.45K #2 1K | USBank Cash+ 21K | Fidelity 20K | Truist Spectrum #1 7.5K Spectrum #2 4.5K Bright 5K | PNC Cash #1 3K Cash #2 600 Points #1 600 Points#2 600 | BECU Cash 23.4K Low Rate 10.5K | BoA Premium Rewards 44.9K Travel Rewards 30K | FNBO Evergreen 20K | SAFE CU Cashback + 10K | Huntington Voice 7150 | Keybank Latitude 8K |
BECU CLOC 15K
~BIZ Credit~ Amex BBP 9.6K BBC 10.2K Biz Plat NPSL x2 Biz Gold NPSL x2 | USBank Biz Cash 10K | Citizen's ED Points Biz 7K | FNBO Biz Evergreen 13.7K | BoA Biz Unlimited #1 7.5K |BoA Biz Unlimited #2 50K | BoA Biz CCR #1 7K | BoA Biz CCR #2 22K | CIC 9K | INK Premier 80K/16K Flex | CIU#1 11K CIU #2 5K |
~formerly known as Xatos~
Message 5 of 9
AzCreditGuy
Established Contributor

@Xanthos472 wrote:

Ran into this myself when using a BT check. When I spoke with a rep, he said this is standard and that the solution is to pay the BT fee off right away. Once I paid the BT fee (plus a little bit over, just in case) it acted like any other BT offer.

Its not standard because I have never experienced from B of A, US bank , Wells Fargo, etc 

I find this a shady nickel and dime tactic that Citizen’s Bank is using. I just got another offer for a BT and again this verbiage is on there? It might be standard to add that verbiage on the BT offer, but is it also standard to send out offers to its consumer base who are out the of the “introductory period” for over 5 years on these offers? Shady AF

Message 6 of 9
Xanthos472
Regular Contributor

Oops sorry I meant standard for Citizens.

Cap 1 QS #1 2.5K Cap 1 QS#2 16K | Citi DC 6410 Citi SYW 3K | Synch 2% 10K | Disco IT 11.3K | Disco Miles 10.6K | CFF 2.4K | Amex BCE 6K EDP 6.2K Schwab 3K | Citizen's 1.8% 12.2K | Wells Cashwise #1 17.45K #2 1K | USBank Cash+ 21K | Fidelity 20K | Truist Spectrum #1 7.5K Spectrum #2 4.5K Bright 5K | PNC Cash #1 3K Cash #2 600 Points #1 600 Points#2 600 | BECU Cash 23.4K Low Rate 10.5K | BoA Premium Rewards 44.9K Travel Rewards 30K | FNBO Evergreen 20K | SAFE CU Cashback + 10K | Huntington Voice 7150 | Keybank Latitude 8K |
BECU CLOC 15K
~BIZ Credit~ Amex BBP 9.6K BBC 10.2K Biz Plat NPSL x2 Biz Gold NPSL x2 | USBank Biz Cash 10K | Citizen's ED Points Biz 7K | FNBO Biz Evergreen 13.7K | BoA Biz Unlimited #1 7.5K |BoA Biz Unlimited #2 50K | BoA Biz CCR #1 7K | BoA Biz CCR #2 22K | CIC 9K | INK Premier 80K/16K Flex | CIU#1 11K CIU #2 5K |
~formerly known as Xatos~
Message 7 of 9
AzCreditGuy
Established Contributor

Just had a call with Executive customer service, whom stated that the fee is just that and that’s what it is? They had zero explanation of the shady wording of “introductory period” and told him, mine was 5 years ago.

I had emailed Tim Perry, Chief Executive Officer and President of Citizen's, to my displeasure of the wording and he had someone call me, which resulted in nothing but him taking my feedback.

I will pay the card off and never use it again for any BT offers. Just an FYI for others who are unaware of this and may have larger BT fees that will have interest fees

Message 8 of 9
Chris87
Established Member

I have a business LOC with Citizens, and I encountered something similar. When I first opened the account, they charged a one time origination fee. When I received the first statement, I realized that interest had accrued on this charge. I ended up calling the same day to pay it off. I never encountered this with another lender, and I thought it was a pretty ridiculous that they would charge interest on an initial origination fee. Had I known, I would have paid it off the same day it posted.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.