Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your two main cards..

tag
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Your two main cards..

@travisr0 wrote:
Really makes you re consider the amount of cards to have from looking at your usage. Time to start trimming down !

Totally agree, some people seem to have 10 cards and 3 that they actually use. What is the point? I understand utilization but you do not need a buffer of 7 cards that are useless to you. (That's an example, but it does fit some people on here)

Message 81 of 126
northface28
Established Contributor

I think if you have Barclays or C1 cards on your respective "benches", it makes sense to keep them, only because its so easy to PC to future cards without opening new accounts.

BK Discharged 9/11

Cap1 Quiksilver Visa Signature $41k| Discover IT $24k| Barclays Uber VISA $16.2k|BOA Cash Rewards $8.4k| BOA BBR $6k|AMEX Cash Magnet $12.8k|AMEX BCP $16.6k|Huntington Voice $5.5k|Citi Double Cash $5.7k| US Bank Cash+ $6.5k
Message 82 of 126
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I can agree on the PCing thing; it can be useful to PC a useless card to avoid a HP/new account/AAOA ding.

I just think otherwise, keeping cards just to keep them is silly. If your spending only merits 3-4 cards and that's plenty of buffer, there's no reason to have 10. JMO.

Message 83 of 126
northface28
Established Contributor

The thrill of getting new cards is addicting. Sometimes, this board only feeds the beast, Smiley LOL

BK Discharged 9/11

Cap1 Quiksilver Visa Signature $41k| Discover IT $24k| Barclays Uber VISA $16.2k|BOA Cash Rewards $8.4k| BOA BBR $6k|AMEX Cash Magnet $12.8k|AMEX BCP $16.6k|Huntington Voice $5.5k|Citi Double Cash $5.7k| US Bank Cash+ $6.5k
Message 84 of 126
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@northface28 wrote:

The thrill of getting new cards is addicting. Sometimes, this board only feeds the beast, Smiley LOL

Oh my God. You hit the nail on the head. 

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 85 of 126
Anonymous
Not applicable

2 is difficult for me. I need 3. 

Salllie Mae - Gas & Groceries 

SPG Amex - Everything else where AMEX is accepted

Barclaycard Arrival+ - Use overseas for the no FTF and everywhere AMEX is not accepted

Freedom sits in the sock drawer, but I use it when the bonus categories are good.

Message 86 of 126
Stralem
Established Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

@travisr0 wrote:
Really makes you re consider the amount of cards to have from looking at your usage. Time to start trimming down !

Totally agree, some people seem to have 10 cards and 3 that they actually use. What is the point?

People change.

I make a lot more money than I did when I only had a Freedom and a Capital One card, and my spending patterns changed. I changed cards accordingly.

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 87 of 126
onlywayisup

1. Sallie Mae MC
2. Discover it
Message 88 of 126
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

The only card I don't use is my Kohl's card. I used it once maybe a year and a half ago. The rest I use, some less than others, but they get used. Though recently, the Barclay Rewards, and Sallie Mae are being used a lot. Along with my Quciksilver..Oh and BCP, 6% on groceries YES SIR.

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 89 of 126
Boragard
Established Contributor

Right now my two favorite cards are Freedom and It.  However, that will change beginning April 1.  Smiley Wink

Message 90 of 126
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.