Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

balance transfer...rewards question???

tag
jaraico
Regular Contributor

balance transfer...rewards question???

i opened a new card and if i spend 500 bucks in the first three months i get 100 cash back, question is if i do a balance transfer does that meet the requirements to get points?

thanks in advanace!

Barclays TU: 760 MyFico EX: 746 EQ:?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: balance transfer...rewards question???

Most T&Cs will say no, BTs and cash advances would not satisfy the spend requirement.
Message 2 of 5
MissCredit9
Frequent Contributor

I found myself asking this question in the past.... YMMV but for me the answer was no.

AMEX PRG NPSL, FIDELITY REWARDS 50K, CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE 27K, AMEX DELTA SKYMIES GOLD 25K, CITI DIAMOND PREFERRED 22K, CHASE FREEDOM 20K, CITI DOUBLE CASH 15.5K, BARCLAYCARD REWARDS MASTERCARD 15K, CHASE MARRIOTT PREMIER 5K, CAPITAL ONE SONY CARD 5.75K, CAPITAL ONE QUICKSILVER 3.5K, AMAZON STORECARD 6K, VICTORIAS SECRET 2650, EXPRESS NEXT 1850,Gardening2/17/17.
Message 3 of 5
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

Nope, in most (if not all) instances the balance transfer does not count.  Usually in the application it tells you this, you might not have noticed it though.  Also, the best place to ask this question is the bank itself, as some might have different rules!  However, I believe 99.9999999999999999999999% of the banks don't allow a balance transfer to qualify for the cash back.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 4 of 5
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

No, a balance transfer does not incur rewards. You have to make a "purchase" within the specified time frame to qualify for the reward.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.