cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

closure snowball - when does it end?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: closure snowball - when does it end?

It's ok, you're not wrong. Obviously we were carrying too much and relying too much on zero percent balance transfers. I hate that such a small mistake has led me here, but it's my own fault. I can only learn and try to stop the bleeding. 

Message 11 of 24
lgtwriter
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous  Debt consolidation if it is done through as a program to lower interest, or lower monthly payments and is done through some sort of credit counseling or credit repair is definitely a red flag to your creditors.

Debt consolidation as a "self-done" move (ie refinancing and taking equity out of your mortgage to pay off credit card debt) works sometimes, but the problem is that you need to have good credit to refinance. You might be able to take a 401k loan to pay off some of the debt. The interest is paid back to your 401k balance, and it is a loan that does not report on credit reports. Most 401k plans offer 401k loans.

Message 12 of 24
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

It's ok, you're not wrong. Obviously we were carrying too much and relying too much on zero percent balance transfers. I hate that such a small mistake has led me here, but it's my own fault. I can only learn and try to stop the bleeding. 

Look, you're getting some responses that are generalizations and also personal philosophies vs addressing your situation. 

It's not about CLDs or whatever else was being said "superfluous", I think.  

It's all about the time in your case, it's taking a bit longer than you expected to get where you need to be, and each set back is probably felt worse than previous one. 

If I was in your position, I'd try paying off whatever I can as long as it doesn't interrupt cash flow too much, you have a little one, so cash flow is important.

Don't worry about cards you have right now, some will survive, some will not. At the end of the day as your situation improves and no additional negatives show up, those cards will be replaced. 

Honestly, maybe not looking at scores for a few months would do you good. You can and will get those back, so focus on paying what you can, when in position see if you can get a loan from local CU or decent BT card, don't drive yourself up the wall, you have plenty on your plate. 

There is life after unfortunate credit episodes, you just have to deal with them as best as you can. 

I think it's commendable you didn't default with "this wasn't my fault, they are making it worse for me" as an excuse. I'm sure you're doing everything you can, so keep doing what you can, let the chips fall where they may, you will come out of this wiser now that you know how easily things can spiral out of the control when stars align all wrong.  

Maybe when you feel inclined to do so, you can list your cards, balances, scores. Maybe there is a temporary solution to help you bridge this period. 

Message 13 of 24
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

No worries! Credit is a long game, not a sprint. You'll land on your feet if you adjust from here.

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 14 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, thank you for that information! I'll have to check DH's 401k and read up on how that might work for us. 

@lgtwriter wrote:

@Anonymous  Debt consolidation if it is done through as a program to lower interest, or lower monthly payments and is done through some sort of credit counseling or credit repair is definitely a red flag to your creditors.

Debt consolidation as a "self-done" move (ie refinancing and taking equity out of your mortgage to pay off credit card debt) works sometimes, but the problem is that you need to have good credit to refinance. You might be able to take a 401k loan to pay off some of the debt. The interest is paid back to your 401k balance, and it is a loan that does not report on credit reports. Most 401k plans offer 401k loans.

Message 15 of 24
lns1976
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous Prior to the B&H closure how long had it been since your last negative effect from the Target mistake?

Consolidating it all into one loan with a lower payment isn't a bad thing, but I'm wondering if you're not overreacting.

You already have a mortgage, you both have cars with one paid off.  From what you have said your current on all your current cards and loans.

Unless you need to lower your monthly expenses, or want to pay off that debt faster, your best option may be just to keep moving forward and let things fade to the past.

The B&H card closure may have had nothing to do with your credit or the late payment 2 years ago.

Fico 8 3/27/2022 EX: 611
Vantage TU/EQ 3/26/2022: 613/613
Message 16 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Now that was real talk. Thank you so much. 

Now that I've gotten back on the FICO wagon, I guess it's not quite so bad as I was thinking. It was a 30 day ding, not a 90 day. In a few months it will no longer be in my 2 year history, I think that might help. Overall debt is $22k, not $27k as I had in my mind, so we've paid off more than I thought. 

There are a few balance transfers, and those cards are near max util. I'm not sure what to do, if anything, about that. 

I do notice a few smaller accounts whose utils I can bring lower fairly quickly. Currently, overall util is listed at 27/27/25 across 15 active accounts, however this does not appear to reflect the loss of the B&H credit line yet. 

Is it better to pay off smaller accounts, or focus on lowering util on a few specific accounts that currently have high util? 

If I was in your position, I'd try paying off whatever I can as long as it doesn't interrupt cash flow too much, you have a little one, so cash flow is important.

Don't worry about cards you have right now, some will survive, some will not. At the end of the day as your situation improves and no additional negatives show up, those cards will be replaced. 

Message 17 of 24
lns1976
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous Look at it this way.  You have low balances on certain cards, if you paid those off and sock drawered them it is one less bill each month.

That minimum payment for those little balances (say $25) you could apply to the bigger balances each month once they are paid off.

Each $0 on a balance means that much extra to put towards the larger balances.

Fico 8 3/27/2022 EX: 611
Vantage TU/EQ 3/26/2022: 613/613
Message 18 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think you're right and I was overreacting, at least a bit, and FWIW I appreciate that assessment and all the advice and input I've been given. The timing of the B&H closure doesn't indicate targeting me over my score; they stated they were closing the accounts in early April. I just hadn't realized that until a previous commenter informed me and I looked it up. 

Prior to the Target ding, no negatives at all. So unless I start getting other account closures on balance bearing accounts, I think I should be ok. 

@lns1976 wrote:

@Anonymous Prior to the B&H closure how long had it been since your last negative effect from the Target mistake?

Consolidating it all into one loan with a lower payment isn't a bad thing, but I'm wondering if you're not overreacting.

You already have a mortgage, you both have cars with one paid off.  From what you have said your current on all your current cards and loans.

Unless you need to lower your monthly expenses, or want to pay off that debt faster, your best option may be just to keep moving forward and let things fade to the past.

The B&H card closure may have had nothing to do with your credit or the late payment 2 years ago.

Message 19 of 24
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Two years ago, in March of 2020, I missed paying off a $9 Target card charge. I thought a gift card covered the entire purchase, and didn't have auto pay set up yet. Target never sent any sort of electronic or mail communication until it was 90 days--at which point I obviously paid off the $9, when I realized my error. 

A snowball of account closures ensued, and is STILL happening. I just lost a $6k account with B&H Photo --while I still carried a balance--. Up until this point, it has only been stray accounts that I let become inactive. Now I've lost I think 5 total accounts. 

When on Earth will this end? My score has dropped because of the closures, causing more closures, and we're now 2 years past that 90 day ding with no other late payments. It feels rather like a noose tightening!

Sorry you're dealing with this unfortunate situation. I may have missed it in this thread, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I did, but did you try contacting Target about the $9? If they really didn't send you any communication until it was 90 days past due, that's a problem! You said that you paid it when you realized *your* error, but it was actually *their* error if they didn't tell you you had a payment/balance due.

At this late date I don't know how much, if any, good it would do to attempt sending a 'goodwill' request to have the negative info removed, but if I were you I'd give it a try. The worst that can happen is they say no. All the other bad stuff is already happening. A 'no' among all that won't be a big blow.

Even if you did contact them before, what about trying again? I'd attempt pointing out the ridiculous nature of having my credit destroyed by a *NINE* dollar payment you weren't aware of, and paid as soon as you were. This isn't like thousands of dollars; this is clearly an innocent oversight and I think any reasonable person would see it that way. I don't have any experience with the Target card, so I don't know how responsive or nice their CSRs are, but I think this is worth a try. You shouldn't have to suffer the way you are for such a paltry amount that was obviously an oversight.

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.