Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

credit cards with instant use feature after approval

tag
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

credit cards with instant use feature after approval

Due to chip shortages or delays by snail mail delivery, some might be interested in the credit cards that can be used instantly right after approval in some ways. It is a helpful feature and it minimizes the issue with SUB. Here are some cards that I could find:

Amex: It looks like all cards are covered.

Citi: Premier (virtual CC).

BOA: Premium Rewards (digital wallet).

Chase: CSP/CFF (digital wallet), Amazon (Amazon purchases), United (via United MileagePlus).

SoFi: SoFi CC (digital wallet).

You may update the list if you know some cards with this feature. I guess several co-branded cards should cover this feature (for main branded store/airline/hotel purchases only).

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
SeaProbe
Regular Contributor

Re: credit cards with instant use feature after approval

Two more to add:

The Apple Card is available immediately and automatically added to the Wallet upon approval.

AmEx is hit and miss. I recently received the BCE and it was not immediately available. The button was there to add it to Apple Pay, but it required the security code from the physical card, which I didn't have. I used the chat and the rep apologized and said that I would indeed need to wait for the physical card to arrive first. As always, YMMV…

Message 2 of 9
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Message 3 of 9
mgood
Valued Contributor

I was going to say that about Chase, but they're already on your list.

Going by my very fuzzy memory, when I got my Citi Custom Cash in July of this year, it seems like they offered that option right when I was approved. I didn't do anything with it right at the moment. I had important things to worry about, like posting my approval on the forum here Smiley LOL But when I tried a day or so later to add it to my Google Pay, I couldn't find a way to do it. When I called about it, I was told I'd just have to wait until the card arrived in the mail Smiley Sad So possibly could have done it immediately, but could not come back to it after passing up that option from the get-go?

EQ8 753, TU8 749, EX8 759 as of October 17
AZE12 - 5% Utl - New Cards: 0/6, 3/12, 6/24
Message 4 of 9
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

I guess Citi supports its virtual CC feature for all of its credit cards. I received my Premier card very late after approval (1 month with snail mail) and I could not make the SUB, if I could not use the virtual CC feature. It is good for any online payments while I do not remember, whether it could be used in digital wallet.

BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 5 of 9
PlaidRaptor
Valued Member

@SeaProbe wrote:

Two more to add:

The Apple Card is available immediately and automatically added to the Wallet upon approval.

AmEx is hit and miss. I recently received the BCE and it was not immediately available. The button was there to add it to Apple Pay, but it required the security code from the physical card, which I didn't have. I used the chat and the rep apologized and said that I would indeed need to wait for the physical card to arrive first. As always, YMMV…

That is really interesting. When I got my BCE earlier this year, I got a temporary card number, expiration date, and security code that I could add to my digital wallet right away. I added the card directly through the Wallet app instead of pushing any buttons.

Message 6 of 9
SeaProbe
Regular Contributor

Hmmm.

There are two factors that may have played a role here. First, although it says "Member since '08" that date was on a corporate card from my employer, and this was my first personal credit card with AmEx. Second, I moved to a new state a few months ago.

Perhaps either or both of those together set my fraud risk calculation a bit too high…

Message 7 of 9
PlaidRaptor
Valued Member

@SeaProbe wrote:

Hmmm.

There are two factors that may have played a role here. First, although it says "Member since '08" that date was on a corporate card from my employer, and this was my first personal credit card with AmEx. Second, I moved to a new state a few months ago.

Perhaps either or both of those together set my fraud risk calculation a bit too high…

Totally possible. My BCE was my first card with Amex. I had no prior relationship at all, not even a corporate card. I could see how the move may affect things though.

Message 8 of 9
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

And which local CUs do such coverages (PenFed, AOD, Navy, ...)?

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.