tag
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

Re: difference in credit cards

@longtimelurkerwrote:

@expatCanuckwrote:

@longtimelurkerwrote:

@Anonymous...

... And in general (= I have no data to back this up!) having a checking account etc doesn't seem to make a whole lot of difference about whether the average user will get a cc from that bank or not.   (We have a lot of people saying "with my low score I wouldn't have got X without a relationship" but then you can find similar profile people getting the same card without). ...

Sometimes, perhaps.  But having a relationship with a bank can certainly make a difference in getting (for example) a loan -- with preferable terms.   When a bank knows your income, it will take the opportunity to keep more of it.  I've received mail with loan offers and card offers from my bank that wouldn't have been sent but for the fact that the bank knows my net income.  It can see how much I spend to pay other card issuers and 'thinks', "I want more of that."

But how do you know?   I receive lots of credit card and loan offers from banks I have no relationship with (and others where I just have a CC).   

Do I 'know' know?  No.  But it's a pretty safe bet.  The only offers I received 'til about 6 months ago were for consolidation loans.  When we app'd for a home equity loan, suddenly the gates opened -- credit card, personal loan.  I don't get such offers from any other institution (except BoA, with which I've done business for just shy of 20 years).

2023 Goal: save 3 months' net income

Starting FICO8: 666 (give or take a FICO)
[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
EQ8415 INQ (Auto, CC, HELOC, 2 mort)7y2m
EX8125 INQ (2 CC, 2 mort, HELoan)6y11m
TU8294 INQ (3 CC, 1 mort)6y6m
5/243/12AoYA 0m | AoOA 23y6m~3%
Message 21 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I started with the easy CC during my rebuilding. As it improved I went after the better reward CC . Also, I wanted to stroke my ego and went after CC that had dropped me. A madness to the method.

Message 22 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

The 4 major players in the credit card market are Chase, American Express, Discover, and Citi. You're asking about Chase and American Express. They issue some of the top cards, if not the best. They also have cards from specific categories, probably more than anyone else. American Express has the Delta Airlines Skymiles cards, which probably has a lot to do with why it's a popular brand. They also have the American Express Platinum, a top-ranking travel rewards card. And they've got the Macy's card, the Hilton cards, and the Starwood Preferred Guest (also know as SPG), which is used for luxury hotels. They have the Blue Cash Preferred, which is known as one of the best cash back rewards cards and specifically the best for families because of the cash back on everyday spending, which is 6% on groceries and 3% on gas. American Express is also one of the oldest financial services out there. Chase has a number of cards. They have a good collection of hotel and airline cards. They have cards for United Airlines, Southwest Airlines, British Airways, IHG (includes Holiday Inn), Ritz Carlton, Hyatt, and Marriott Hotels, as well as the sapphire cards. The top 3 ranked travel rewards cards are American Express Platinum, Chase Sapphire Preferred, and Chase Sapphire Reserve. Chase is also the largest of American banks.

US Bank Cash+ $5000/Ollo Rewards $1600/Chase Freedom $1500/JCPenney $1500/Bank Of America Cash Rewards $500/Discover It $750/American Express Blue Cash Preferred $6000/Chase Freedom Unlimited $1500

Message 23 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thnaks to everyone that contributed to the discussion and the valuable information.  Well, I guess this just proves the theory that one should not always believe what is written on the internet.  As someone who is rebuilding my credit to past glories, I should make sure my next card has a decent rate or a perq, an improvement from the low cl and a better rate is a good place to start.  

Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.