Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

disco chrome vs disco cash back?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

disco chrome vs disco cash back?

Hello forum members,

I was curious to see what is the difference between Discover IT Chrome to that of Discover IT Cashback?

Regards,

Dhi

6 REPLIES 6
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

Re: disco chrome vs disco cash back?

Cash Back is a 5% rotating category card, while Chrome is a 2% gas & restaurant card.

discoit.png

Source

Message 2 of 7
jayjayhawaii
Regular Contributor

Depends entirely how you tend to use your Disco. I use it along with Cap1 Quicksilver as my daily drivers, so I currently have the Disco Chrome which gives me 2% on gas and restaurants, 1% on everything else.

I'm planning to PC it to Disco Cashback once I get the PayPal 2% Cashback Mastercard at the end of this month (hopefully).

The Discover Cashback card, like Disco Chrome, gives you 1% on most purchases, but 5% cashback on rotating categories. These categories change each quarter. For example, currently, July - Sep, you get 5% cash back on restaurants. Oct - Dec, it switches to 5% cashback on Amazon purchases and wholesale clubs.

If it's your only cash back card, or you use it mainly for gas and/or restaurants, then the chrome is the better pick. If you have another card you use for everyday purchases, or you have a 2% cashback Quicksilver or PayPal Mastercard, you're better off using Disco for 5% on purchases in the rotating categories.

Current FICO8:

2017: $200 secured card | 2023: $200,000+ total credit line
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

It Chrome simply isn't a very good card after the first year. Yes, it's rare to find a card where the bonus category is both gas and restaurants, but the options for 3%+ cards for each of those is plentiful (I have BofA CR and Uber to get 3.3% and 4%, respectively). Even if you don't have other cards for the categories, you get one quarter for each on the rotating card. At 5%, this exceeds always getting 2% if you have another 1.5% card for your non-5% spending. I started with Chrome (Because it was secured, that was the only app available) but switched over to the rotating categories before my first year was even up.

Message 4 of 7
MrDFinance
Established Contributor

Yeah the Discover 5% cash back is the best Discover offers.... The Chrome card has the same benefits as the secured card....
Message 5 of 7
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Even though my converted Chrome was the first Disco Cash Card. I went for the second It Card which had a higher SL as most second cards do give, and the interest was 13% lower than my first It card. Cash back match for the 2nd year. Now at the standard 13.4% with good credit per say. But my credit scores were 50-60 points lower on the first approval. So the Chrome is there and I alternate it with my SunTrust for the same 2% groceries when the It card is not on the groceries catagory. My new BB&T card gives 3% gas. So no need for the Chrome in that dept. Now its just a padding credit file thickness card.

Either way the first year for the It card is great. But some could also do the Chrome as the second card for the first year match after having the It first and then it will be a G&G 2% card. Vice versa.

Message 6 of 7
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@MrDFinance wrote:
Yeah the Discover 5% cash back is the best Discover offers.... The Chrome card has the same benefits as the secured card....

Depends on your usage.  Your first year of Discover IT Miles can easily outpace several years of 5% cash back, even when that is doubled for the first year, because of the caps.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.