Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dumb question

tag
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

dumb question

What is a signature card......what are the benefits.  I have a Chase Sapphire and "signature" is written on the back

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Built2last
New Contributor

Re: dumb question

Signature cards allow you to have a flexible credit limit. For example, if you have a $5000 signature card, you could make a $7000 purchase but would be expected to bring your balance below your credit limit in addition to making at least the minimum payment by the due date.
 photo chase-freedom-personal_zps7d0f91f4.png">
Message 2 of 14
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

So.....if I understand correctly a signature card has a built in over credit limit protection.....sort of?

Message 3 of 14
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@ecxpa wrote:

So.....if I understand correctly a signature card has a built in over credit limit protection.....sort of?

In a nutshell, yes you can avoid OL fees. Same thing applies to World M/C cards they are the Visa Siggy equivalent.

Message 4 of 14
jnc
Contributor

I am constantly amazed at the things I learn here.

I hold a world mastercard and had no clue about this.

This explains why I didn't get penalized when I went over the limit recently!

J & C
Message 5 of 14
enharu
Super Contributor

@jnc wrote:

I am constantly amazed at the things I learn here.

I hold a world mastercard and had no clue about this.

This explains why I didn't get penalized when I went over the limit recently!

the rules have changed with regards to overlimit fees.

If your card has a fixed CL, the banks cannot charge you OL fees simply because you went over the limit. You will have to opt-in for the overlimit feature for them to charge you any OL limits. As such, for non-signature or non-world MC cards, banks will usually just decline charges that are overlimit. 

As for World MC / Visa Sig, most of the cards have NPSL features as a standard feature, though its dependent on the bank as to whether they'll approve those charges.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 6 of 14
red259
Super Contributor

@ecxpa wrote:

What is a signature card......what are the benefits.  I have a Chase Sapphire and "signature" is written on the back

Not really a dumb question. I'm sure a lot of the general public have no idea what it means. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 7 of 14
grinlikechelsea
Established Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@ecxpa wrote:

Not really a dumb question. I'm sure a lot of the general public have no idea what it means. 

I agree. I certainly didn't know what it meant when I joined the forum.

Message 8 of 14
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

I like Signature because it often comes with automatic warranty extensions.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 9 of 14
enharu
Super Contributor

@Themanwhocan wrote:

I like Signature because it often comes with automatic warranty extensions.

except it can be a nightmare with certain lenders....

For example, some may require you to ship the item to them at your expense. And if that item happens to be a 60 inch TV or just something large / heavy, then cost of shipping might actually exceed the cost of repairs / replacement!

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.