grocery credit card of choice?

tag
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

grocery credit card of choice?

Hi folks.

In our last episode, we covered dining.

Today, let's focus on groceries.

I'm currently using the Amex BCP, because it offered one year fee-free.  When that expires, I'll likely change back to the BCE (unless the other bonus categories compensate -- I'll have to actually read up) because, factoring in the fee, my cash back remains around 3%.

I believe that my 5% on the Flex has about run its course.

And. of course, there's the Disco Q1 at 5%.

So ... what else?

2023 Goal: save 3 months' net income

Starting FICO8: 666 (give or take a FICO)
[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
EQ8415 INQ (Auto, CC, HELOC, 2 mort)7y2m
EX8125 INQ (2 CC, 2 mort, HELoan)6y11m
TU8294 INQ (3 CC, 1 mort)6y6m
5/243/12AoYA 0m | AoOA 23y6m~3%
Message 1 of 46
45 REPLIES 45
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

Re: grocery credit card of choice?

Capital one savor one for good credit. no af and 3 pct cb.

Also the target red card gives 5 pct off at checkout, they have a decent grocery section.

And of course discover which gave 5 pct in Q1 and 5 pct in Q2 in store at target, so 6 months in 2022 of 5 pct.

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 2 of 46
DakotaM
Regular Contributor

Citi Custom Cash has 5% on groceries up to $500 in purchases per month.

The Affinity Cash Rewards has 5% quarterly rotators which includes grocery right now.  This card gets 2% back on groceries normally and apparently the rotators stack on top of that for 7% currently.

I think that is about it for 5% cards...

UMB Simply Rewards is unlimited 3% back on both groceries and discount stores.  So no having to figure out what your favorite store codes as there, which is nice.

The Citi Shop Your Way/Sears Card is 5% on gas and 3% on both groceries and restuarants up to a combined $10,000 per year.  That one puts out lots of targeted offers too.

Workers-Credit-UnionWorkers-Credit-Union

Message 3 of 46
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I, too, have the Amex BCP and is what I use for groceries unless and until I hit the $6k cap for the year. I don't think I will though. But in case I do, I have the Navy MoreRewards Amex as a backup. Bonus is that the Navy MR Amex counts Target as supermarkets, so I get 3% back. Smiley Very Happy

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 4 of 46
FormerCollegeDJ
Frequent Contributor

My responses:

*Capital One SavorOne (3%) during "normal" quarters

*Chase Freedom Flex (5%) or Discover It Cash (5%) during 5% groceries quarters

*Citi Custom Cash (approved for it a few days ago, still waiting to receive the card) after achieving sign-up bonus (likely on other spending) during most non-5% grocery quarters on CFF and Discover cards

Playing the credit card rewards game since early May 2020.

Current credit cards:
American Express: Hilton Honors
Bank of America: Customized Cash Rewards Visa
Capital One: SavorOne MC
Chase: Amazon Visa, Freedom Unlimited Visa, Freedom Flex MC
Citi: Sears/ThankYou Rewards MC, My Best Buy Visa, Custom Cash MC
Comenity: AAA Travel Advantage Visa
Discover: Cash It
Elan: S&T Bank Max Cash Preferred Visa
FNBO: Amtrak Guest Rewards Platinum MC
PSECU: Founder's Visa
U.S. Bank: Cash+ Visa
Wells Fargo: Autograph Visa
Store cards: Kohl's

Next target credit cards: Wells Fargo Bilt Mastercard (probably), Truist Enjoy Travel Visa (maybe)
Message 5 of 46
wasCB14
Super Contributor

BofA CR for Costco...haven't made the leap for USB AR yet.

I'd have an Amex Business Platinum, anyway...so Amex Gold gives me a little more than 6% towards a chosen airline (Delta for me) without needing to look for award space. And through a bug I get $320 in Uber/dining credits instead of $240.

EDP/BCP are just for upgrades. No interest in bothering with 30 transactions for 4.5x instead of 4x.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 6 of 46
unsungivy
Established Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

I'd have an Amex Business Platinum, anyway...so Amex Gold gives me a little more than 6% towards a chosen airline (Delta for me) without needing to look for award space. And through a bug I get $320 in Uber/dining credits instead of $240.

EDP/BCP are just for upgrades. No interest in bothering with 30 transactions for 4.5x instead of 4x.

Pretty sure the forums did the math awhile back, and Custom Cash comes in just under the BCP for max cash back due to the AF. So if you don't think the BCP is better than the Everyday Cash AmEx for you, the Custom Cash should still be (this is unless it's an active category for Affinity of course, at 7%). Make sure you really do your math though... I ran the numbers for my 70-something parents and they definitely get more out of the BCP with the fee than half the Cashback for no fee. They're one of those households that will spend over the 6k cap, however... but I'm not even going to make the attempt to get them to put some of that grocery spending on a different card, it's a massive win to have gotten them using one card for groceries/gas and one for everything else (CFU)!

Groceries is a "hard to find 5%" for category. Tons and tons of 3% out there though.

I'll be using AmEx Gold (while meeting the SUB), then back to BCP primarily, Affinity at Costco (for Q3, then the BofA CCR at 3.5%), and Savor for the random food stores that AmEx doesn't recognize as groceries (bakeries etc).

SD - Biz -
Message 7 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FormerCollegeDJ wrote:

My responses:

*Capital One SavorOne (3%) during "normal" quarters

*Chase Freedom Flex (5%) or Discover It Cash (5%) during 5% groceries quarters

*Citi Custom Cash (approved for it a few days ago, still waiting to receive the card) after achieving sign-up bonus (likely on other spending) during non-5% grocery quarters on CFF and Discover cards

This! When discover or chase doesn't have groceries I use citi

Message 8 of 46
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@unsungivy wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

Pretty sure the forums did the math awhile back, and Custom Cash comes in just under the BCP for max cash back due to the AF. So if you don't think the BCP is better than the Everyday Cash AmEx for you, the Custom Cash should still be (this is unless it's an active category for Affinity of course, at 7%). Make sure you really do your math though... I ran the numbers for my 70-something parents and they definitely get more out of the BCP with the fee than half the Cashback for no fee. They're one of those households that will spend over the 6k cap, however... but I'm not even going to make the attempt to get them to put some of that grocery spending on a different card, it's a massive win to have gotten them using one card for groceries/gas and one for everything else (CFU)!

Groceries is a "hard to find 5%" for category. Tons and tons of 3% out there though.

I'll be using AmEx Gold (while meeting the SUB), then back to BCP primarily, Affinity at Costco (for Q3, then the BofA CCR at 3.5%), and Savor for the random food stores that AmEx doesn't recognize as groceries (bakeries etc).

CC may beat BCP, but for me Gold beats both. There's a simplicity to having one main card for groceries as well as restaurants (with a Visa backup or two).

What I meant by the bolded part is that I use those cards to play upgrade/downgrade games. Amex offers me 40k MR points to upgrade my ED to EDP and spend $2k. So I do so...and then downgrade a year or so later back to ED. Then Amex eventually sends me another upgrade offer and I upgrade for another year.

The value isn't in the rewards from regular spend...it's from effectively earning multiple SUBs on one account.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 9 of 46
unsungivy
Established Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@unsungivy wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

CC may beat BCP, but for me Gold beats both. There's a simplicity to having one main card for groceries as well as restaurants (with a Visa backup or two).

What I meant by the bolded part is that I use those cards to play upgrade/downgrade games. Amex offers me 40k MR points to upgrade my ED to EDP and spend $2k. So I do so...and then downgrade a year or so later back to ED. Then Amex eventually sends me another upgrade offer and I upgrade for another year.

The value isn't in the rewards from regular spend...it's from effectively earning multiple SUBs on one account.

Oh, I know. It's a thing that's a thing around here Smiley Happy I haven't even had my BCP a year yet though, and I get AFs waived from P2's military... so I'm not quite at the upgrade downgrade game yet, since they're currently free anyways. Up until a year ago when i started adding a ton more cards EDP was  good daily driver... 30 swipes can be done easily with a little patience at self checkout at the grocery store once a month.

I get that you like the simplicity of the Gold, but I'm guessing for me it won't be a permanent wallet resident. I'm finding it annoying the number of restaurants that are not coded properly for AmEx, but are for Visa/MC. It's actually quite stressful to try to remember which ones I can't use my current restaurant card at (including my weekly sushi place... codes right for CSP and Savor, but not for Gold). Depending on P2's active duty cycle, I might end up with two platinums and all the credits that go along with them instead at the end of the year.

SD - Biz -
Message 10 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.