Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

maxing out a CC

tag
jetsfan2013
Frequent Contributor

Re: maxing out a CC

As long as you don't carry a maxed out balance over for months on end, you should be fine.

Road to rebuilding starts soon
Message 11 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I suspect the opposite, that it will build trust by demonstrating a capacity to pay larger bills.

Only Discover will ever see it--it won't appear on your credit file assuming you paid it right away. But what Discover will see is that you ran up a bigger than usual balance and promptly paid it down to zero. That says you're capable of paying larger balances when you need to.

I think they would be MORE willing to give you a CLI. Or maybe they will just completely ignore it. But it's hard to imagine any kind of AA over what amounts to very responsible use of your card.

Message 12 of 13
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

Disco and capital one are 2 banks that could care less if you're maxed and carrying a balance forever. It's one of the reasons I will always carry a cap1 card even after my rebuild is complete. They'll never block a charge and they'll never hassle me if I have to carry a balance.

When carrying a balance with Cap1, make sure you make sufficent payments monthly, not just 2x or 3x the minimum due or when you hit the luv button, you'll get the infamous "Average payments too small" denial reason

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.