Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

paying before statement

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: paying before statement

Oh sorry I did not answer the question. I tried to pay my gas bill before the statement but the site wouldn’t let me. Again, I have a budget in my bank account to pay this bill, it’s just sitting there like it’s my money but it’s not. I want it out gone.
Message 11 of 15
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

The only reasons to pay early are:

1.  If it's a low limit card and you need to free up the line for future purchases.

2.  When using AZEO or reducing reported utilization to boost FICO scores.

3.  If you have a rebuilder card with no grace period, paying early reduces interest.

4.  It just works for you in terms of your finances, available time to pay bills, etc.

But there's no reason to pay the card off after every charge (unless you're running into #1 above).

For 99% of us, paying after the statement cuts and before the due date is perfectly fine.

+1,   except your 4 reasons might lower  the 99% to about 50%

Message 12 of 15
Kforce
Valued Contributor

Yes I have a couple of large utilities that I PIF when I know the amount owed instead of waiting 15 days for the statement to post and another 20 for the auto pull date to hit. I also pay 3-X my car payment, and 2-X my mortgage payment. I pre-pay my Gym membership for a year so I get 20% discount from the Gym, and the list goes on. I use credit cards for the rewards from the spend not payment float.

Message 13 of 15
redpat
Senior Contributor

Pay all my bills (CC, mortgage, util and car, everything else is on a card) the 28th of each month.  Makes it easy I never have to worry about a due dates.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 14 of 15
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

With a utility bill, I don't know what I'm going to owe until I'm billed. With a credit card, I know how much I owe as soon as I swipe.

I like to pay bills ASAP. I don't like them lying around and waiting just because I'm allowed to do that. I"m a little annoyed that my utility bills autopay on the due date. I'd much rather pay before that. But I'm not annoyed enough to give up the convenience of autopaying them. But the bottom line is except for the utility that doesn't take credit cards, they're just another credit card charge. So I deal with the credit card as I see fit and go with the flow on the utilities.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.