Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

penfed

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

penfed

CRAP!  Is it really that easy to join!?  My dad was in the army, so i listed his name as my eligibility requirement on the application, and bam, it says im in.. gives me a membership number and everything... 

So im assuming I really am a member now?  Im very pessimistic lol..
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
jmbfl
Valued Contributor

Re: penfed

I don't see how your father having been in the Army qualifies you for membership in PenFed. Are you sure you didn't join NMFA or MOAA?
Message 2 of 23
wmarat
Valued Contributor

Indeed, it is easy to join, it is much harder to get their products.
IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 3 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Could be his father is a member. On the application to join, it asks for their number if you know it.

If not a member then to mark how that person is eligible.
Message 4 of 23
jmbfl
Valued Contributor

Responses like that tend bring out my cranky side. Let the OP respond and clarify his situation. No need for that kind of silly speculation!
Message 5 of 23
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

@wmarat wrote:
Indeed, it is easy to join, it is much harder to get their products.

From what I've read here, they say PenFed hates, hates, hates, lots of new accounts. If OP intends on applying, hopefully all accounts are at least 6 months old.
Here we go again...
Message 6 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

When i was reading about eligibility it said family members of persons who were in the army are eligible.  My dad does not have an account with penfed, but he was in the army.  When it asked how I qualify for membership, I said my dad was in the army, it asked for his name and telephone number.

So i entered my dads  name and telephone number and apparantly it didnt do any kind of "check" like NFCU does.  It appeared I would be approved for membership if i just entered John Doe!  My dad of couse was in the army though.

It opened an account for me and i funded it with $5. (the minimum)

I havent applied for a CC yet because I have baddies and new accounts which i read they dont like.

I just thought it would be more difficult to join PENFED than it was..
Message 7 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, then I speculated correctly. Congrats again on getting in with them!
Message 8 of 23
boauld
Valued Member

what CRA does penfed pull? My dad also was in the army maybe I'll get one of there cards. Which card should I get from them?
Message 9 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

They pull EQ.

Check out their rewards card.
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.