cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Normal" Number of SP's on existing accounts?

tag
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

"Normal" Number of SP's on existing accounts?

So I pulled my three credit reports this evening. I counted up the soft pulls across all three CRA’s since the beginning of 2014.

Here’s what I came up with:

Cap One (2 cards)    11111111

Chase  (2 cards)        1111111

Discover (1 card)      11111

BOA (1 card)             1111

Citi (1 card)               1111

Barclays (2 cards)     111

Lowes (1 card)          11

FIA (1 card)               1

US Bank (2 cards)     1

Nasa FCU (1 card)    1

AMEX  (2 cards)        1

A couple of things that popped out. Chase has SP’ed me A LOT recently.  5 times since October 1st (again across all three bureaus)…wonder what that’s about.

Cap One seems to soft pull me just about every month. And finally AMEX has only pulled me once, which really surprised me because they have approved me for two 3x CLI’s since March 2014.

Do these number of pulls seem “normal”, especially Chase and Cap One? Has anyone else looked at their SP’s and counted?  I wonder if there a correlation between number of SP and potential AA?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Re: "Normal" Number of SP's on existing accounts?

Capital One SP can be attributed to the FAKO each month, no?
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very interesting...
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do the soft pulls from Chase happen to have any correlation to anniversary's of your cards or anything like that?
Message 4 of 11
elim
Senior Contributor

have you been hitting chase pre-qual regularly?

Message 5 of 11
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

@Kenny wrote:
Capital One SP can be attributed to the FAKO each month, no?

Kenny-

The CAP 1 FAKO pulls are coded differently.  It is listed as "TU INTERACTIVE/CAP 1" and purpose is listed as "CREDIT MONITORING".  Credit Karma pulls are coded in the same way.  The ones listed above are strictly from the lenders (not credit monitoring services).

Yeah the Cap One SP are curious because I've been with them for many years and looking back on previous reports, they've only pulled me 2-3 times a year.  Granted, I had a $500 CL with them at that time.  Now I have two cards:  Venture ($10,000 CL) and QS1 ($2,000 CL), so maybe it's the increased exposure?  I PIF every month, but maybe that doesn't matter...

I'm not nervous about it.  My overall UTL is pretty low (~7%).  I'm running a few balances to utilize the 0% promos, and even those I make sure those never go above 50% individually.  But I am curious if other see this level of soft pull "activity" on their reports.

Message 6 of 11
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

There's really no "normal".  They can and do vary.  Don't obsess over the SP's.

@Dw4250 wrote:

I wonder if there a correlation between number of SP and potential AA?

There's no direct causality.  It's the state of one's credit that creditors use to decide to take AA.  SP's are done all the time for purposes other than AA.  Number of SP's on its own doesn't mean anything other than you've been SP'ed that number of times.

Message 7 of 11
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Do the soft pulls from Chase happen to have any correlation to anniversary's of your cards or anything like that?

I do not see any discernible patterns from Chase.  I recently put balances on both Freedom and Slate (to take advantage of 0% promo), so maybe that's it?  

Freedom has a balance ($2000/6000 CL) and so does Slate ($1500/5000 CL).

Message 8 of 11
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

@elim wrote:

have you been hitting chase pre-qual regularly?

I thought about that, but the dates don't seem to match so I don't think that's it.

Message 9 of 11
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

There's really no "normal".  They can and do vary.  Don't obsess over the SP's.

@Dw4250 wrote:

I wonder if there a correlation between number of SP and potential AA?

There's no direct causality.  It's the state of one's credit that creditors use to decide to take AA.  SP's are done all the time for purposes other than AA.  Number of SP's on its own doesn't mean anything other than you've been SP'ed that number of times.

Thx takeshi74.  I figured the SP's could be for a variety of reasons.  It does seem there really is no "normal".  

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.