Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Spree" method and after-effects

tag
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Re: "Spree" method and after-effects

@Creditaddict wrote:

I think very few have issues when the new accounts hit, now increasing debt I think is more tracked then new accounts and barlcay I think is the #1 offender of CLD and closure with new accounts and increasing debt after opening of account even if not with them.

otherwise not really that I have seen.

I've had my Barclay card 9 months and they did give me a $1000 auto increase at statement 6... And have still SP my CR every month.

In case any credit addicts who just opened their Barclay account are reading this... Beware.  Smiley Happy

You can also search these forums for many topics from people who have had their accounts CLD or even closed for what Barclay deemed risky behavior.  

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 11 of 15
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@TRC_WA wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

I think very few have issues when the new accounts hit, now increasing debt I think is more tracked then new accounts and barlcay I think is the #1 offender of CLD and closure with new accounts and increasing debt after opening of account even if not with them.

I've had my Barclay card 9 months and they did give me a $1000 auto increase at statement 6... And have still SP my CR every month.

In case any credit addicts who just opened their Barclay account are reading this... Beware.  Smiley Happy

You can also search these forums for many topics from people who have had their accounts CLD or even closed for what Barclay deemed risky behavior.  

We also change our convential wisdom glacially slowly sometimes, and the markets move much faster than our advice does.  Guess I'm testing the theory as I spreed 4 accounts this last time including a Sallie Mae, but one had already reported and the two others are innoculous small-dollar secured installment loans: if Barclay's really has a problem with new accounts I should be flagged... but I really rather doubt it.

Anyway, if you have the discipline to garden non-trivially post-spree, it works out better all the way around on the assumption in my opinion, with the caveats I don't apply for a bunch of junk tradelines which I don't need, and personally I never spree beyond 4 accounts of any type.  I don't count my first year really building credit as that was all over the map, but I've done two sprees since then (at the 1 year mark and the 2.3 year mark respectively) and hasn't been any negative repercussions.  

Of course, I have a lot bigger derogatories and therefore problems on my credit report than spreed new accounts, YMMV Cat Tongue

        
Message 12 of 15
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@TRC_WA wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

We also change our convential wisdom glacially slowly sometimes, and the markets move much faster than our advice does.  Guess I'm testing the theory as I spreed 4 accounts this last time including a Sallie Mae, but one had already reported and the two others are innoculous small-dollar secured installment loans: if Barclay's really has a problem with new accounts I should be flagged... but I really rather doubt it.

Anyway, if you have the discipline to garden non-trivially post-spree, it works out better all the way around on the assumption in my opinion, with the caveats I don't apply for a bunch of junk tradelines which I don't need, and personally I never spree beyond 4 accounts of any type.  I don't count my first year really building credit as that was all over the map, but I've done two sprees since then (at the 1 year mark and the 2.3 year mark respectively) and hasn't been any negative repercussions.  

Of course, I have a lot bigger derogatories and therefore problems on my credit report than spreed new accounts, YMMV Cat Tongue

I opened the CCs in my sig in order last May-Dec.... A lot  of new accounts after the Barclay.  But I also read a thread last week where a guy had listed a dozen different threads where people had had their  Barclay accounts closed... Some after sprees.

I dunno... I've got all the CCs I need... Haven't applied for one in 6 months and have no plans to until 2016.  But for those who are spree happy it does happen... Random maybe but Barclay is sensitive.

They continue to SP me... A thread I read  a few days ago summed it up pretty well.  Barclay is like that jealous girlfriend who is always checking your cellphone while you aren't looking.  She loves you but doesn't trust you... LMAO

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 13 of 15
konupe3
Valued Member

I have a Barclay's NFL Rewards card. Initially got approved for $3,300. Took advantage of the BT @ 0% for 12 and made some other purchases. My limit got up there and they CLD my account by $200. I have since paid the card off and will not spend a penny with them. Can't stand Barclay's, but I'll soon make a purchase for a $20 shirt  or something to keep the card active. 

I refuse to apply for anything Barclay related in the future. 

Fico Plus Scores: EX: 735 EQ:744 TU: 743
Message 14 of 15
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

I just recently got a Barclay Rewards MC.  I got a decent limit for me at $2500 and a nice low for me 14.00% APR.  The same day I applied for the Barclaycard I also applied for Chase Amazon.  Of course the Chase card still hasn't reported and 2 new student loans hit my CR today.  If they don't like new accounts, I should be hearing from them soon!

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.