Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sign-up bonus cards ?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

sign-up bonus cards ?

Hi all,

I'm going to make a big purchase soon this May so I was thinking why not open a credit card and get the sign-up bonus. I know there're a lot of cards with a pretty good bonus, but just want to hear people's thoughts about the outstanding ones. Also, I would prefer getting a travel one because I haven't had any travel (miles or points) credit cards. Since I'm about to graduate, I might consider an annual fee card if it's worth it but I still prefer a no annual fee card if it's possible (I know I'm cheap lol). I'd love to hear y'all card experts. 

Current credit score is 760 and average age is 1 year 1 month, trying to be patient not getting any new cards to build credit but I think it's time to get a new card Smiley Sad

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: sign-up bonus cards ?

I suppose the first question would be is what CCs do you currently have?  This should open up some dialogue rather than guess on specific CCs you may already have.

Message 2 of 11
combatmedic2107
New Contributor

Bank of America Cash Rewards
Message 3 of 11
wasCB14
Super Contributor

A favored airline or hotel chain? Home airport?

Is "a big purchase" $1k? $10k?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I currently have Chase Freedom Unlimited, Discover it, Uber visa and Amex Cash Magnet. 

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't really have any favored ones, just any flexible affordable airlines and will be 5k~

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, I think they have the miles one too. 

Message 7 of 11
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi all,

I'm going to make a big purchase soon this May so I was thinking why not open a credit card and get the sign-up bonus. I know there're a lot of cards with a pretty good bonus, but just want to hear people's thoughts about the outstanding ones. Also, I would prefer getting a travel one because I haven't had any travel (miles or points) credit cards. Since I'm about to graduate, I might consider an annual fee card if it's worth it but I still prefer a no annual fee card if it's possible (I know I'm cheap lol). I'd love to hear y'all card experts. 

Current credit score is 760 and average age is 1 year 1 month, trying to be patient not getting any new cards to build credit but I think it's time to get a new card Smiley Sad

I'm not the world's greatest expert on travel cards, but in my view it's penny wise and pound foolish to fret about annual fees in this area, because the good ones give you a lot of value which eclipses the annual fee.... if you travel a decent amount.

My suggestions would be (a) Chase Sapphire Preferred or Sapphire Reserve, (b) Citi Premier, (c) Amex Platinum. IMHO the Chase and Citi cards give you the most travel for your dollar, while the Amex gives you the best travel luxury perks.

Total revolving limits 650200 (530700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 708 TU 714 EX 715

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

^^^ of course with the caveat that, should you go the Amex Platinum route, you can pay that $5k purchase off at the end of the month.
Message 9 of 11
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Depending on what spend you can hit, the CSP might be a good option. I would also suggest the Venture. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 6.5k
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.