Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

spg vs marriott card and account activity

tag
red259
Super Contributor

spg vs marriott card and account activity

Marriott points expire if you do not have account activity for a period of time. I know using the marriott card would reset the clock but if I link my spg and marriott accounts will using my spg card reset the clock even though the points earned are going into my spg account?

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
nachoslibres
Established Contributor

Re: spg vs marriott card and account activity

No, but transferring SPG points to Marriott would reset the clock.

Message 2 of 6
red259
Super Contributor

@nachoslibres wrote:

I read that transferring points into the marriott account would NOT reset the clock. Is transferring spg points over different than transferring Chase URs to marriott?

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 3 of 6
nachoslibres
Established Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@nachoslibres wrote:

I read that transferring points into the marriott account would NOT reset the clock. Is transferring spg points over different than transferring Chase URs to marriott?

I recently transferred points from UR and SPG to Marriott and both counted as qualifying activity on my activity page on Marriott.  It reset my clock and I now have 2 years to spend any Marriott points.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I transfer my 41k SPG points to Marriott?  That was the entire reason I signed up for the card, but I haven't transferred yet because I wanted to see if something else came up. Any suggestions? I know it's 3-1 rate.

Message 5 of 6
nachoslibres
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Should I transfer my 41k SPG points to Marriott?  That was the entire reason I signed up for the card, but I haven't transferred yet because I wanted to see if something else came up. Any suggestions? I know it's 3-1 rate.

You can transfer between the 2 programs at will - the points pretty much post instantaneous and you can transfer those same points back with no penalty.  As long as points aren't about to expire in your SPG account and/or Marriott account there is no need to transfer.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.