cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

will anyone approve 620,616,621 credit scores for a credit card ?!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

will anyone approve 620,616,621 credit scores for a credit card ?!!

I have been working so hard for the last year on rebuilding my credit. I have a nfcu cc with 1900 paid in full, cap1 secured with 500 limit paid in full and a car loan that i got last august that has perfect payment history, despite all of that i cant get approved for a new card. I want to get my girlfriend an engagement ring without draining my savings account and getting a trade line to do that so i could build more solid payment histoiry would be perfect. Any help would be greatly appreciated !!!!!

Message 1 of 43
42 REPLIES 42
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

Re: will anyone approve 620,616,621 credit scores for a credit card ?!!

OP,  your scores are not that bad...if you go to the cap1 site to you see any pre-quals?

Message 2 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

With those scores it may be hard but I would recommend starting with Cap1. Have you checked to see if anything comes up on their pre-qualification site?

Cap1 pre-qualifications are pretty solid. 

Message 3 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can purchase an engagement ring for under $500.00. On the good side, it has been said that those who spend less on engagement rings, marriage tend to last longer. The ring is just a symbol. If the committment is real, you can use a Fruit Loop or a ring that came out of a child's vending toy machine.

Message 4 of 43
luckelle
Regular Contributor

Quick answer.....of course, tons of them. Long answer, maybe not the ones you really want or will use. Your Starting limit will be well " limited" for a while.  If that does not affect you wanting them, an hour in the credit card forum and you will walk away with at least 5 cc approvals before your first denial. I think your talking more upper level cards with higher limits around 2-4 thousand sl given you want to buy a ring. In that case with your scores your credit file will be a more determining factor due to your fair score level. 

Starting Score: 5/2012 TU 595, EQ 565, EX fako 547
Current Score:as of 9/2012, TU 626,Walmart 612, EQ 600, EX fako 623
Goal Score: 640 by dec 2013
BofA Au 13000, Amazon 600, Capt1 300, Walmart 150
When all else fails pay it!

Message 5 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

You should be able to get a secured card with no problem.. I had two secured cards for a year to build my credit. It worked great!

Message 6 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

You should be able to get a secured card with no problem.. I had two secured cards for a year to build my credit. It worked great!

But secured cards require him to deposit money when that is what he is trying to avoid.

Message 7 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried the cap 1 pre approval and they said they couldn't locate any offers. I have a capital 1 secured with 500$ limit that is paid off , I've had it for 11 months
Message 8 of 43
delaney1
Established Contributor

Would your girlfriend really be upset if the ring wasn't worth a certain amount? I think you should just use your available credit and get something from Brian Gavin diamonds, jAmes Allen or blue Nile. Stay away from mall jewelers like Kay, Jareds, jc penneys etc. the quality is abysmal and worth far less then what they charge. Get something you can easily afford and upgrade in a few years. Smiley Happy My first wedding ring was about $100, 10 years later I got my dream ring and now, 11 years later I still love it! 

Message 9 of 43
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I tried the cap 1 pre approval and they said they couldn't locate any offers. I have a capital 1 secured with 500$ limit that is paid off , I've had it for 11 months

something is missing here....where did you get those scores and you have a nfcu that is in your name or an au?

Message 10 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.