Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Harder to get a card

tag
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Harder to get a card

Article compares getting cards this current year to last year.  No surprises.

https://money.yahoo.com/fewer-americans-are-getting-credit-cards-150649424.html

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Harder to get a card

Great article. Thanks for sharing. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 2 of 13
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

"Newly opened credit cards fell by 65% from April 15 to May 15 this year versus the same period last year"

Thanks, interesting read!

Message 3 of 13
iced
Valued Contributor

I didn't see any mention about applications. If applications are also significantly down, then it stands to reason that new accounts opened would be, too.

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@iced wrote:

I didn't see any mention about applications. If applications are also significantly down, then it stands to reason that new accounts opened would be, too.

That's what I was wondering as well. Everyone I know has curtailed spending in some way, intentionally or not. That would seem to point to decreased credit applications since "normal" people only apply for credit when they need it.

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you click through to some of the articles linked in the original, you'll see based on randomized credit report data, it's a combination of both fewer applications as well as tighter underwriting standards.  Roughly about half anf half - 40% fewer apps and tighter standards compared to same period last year.

A Dscover rep also states they're reluctrant to increase limits on existing cardholders as well.

Message 6 of 13
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

Good article. Thanks for sharing. 

Message 7 of 13
righthererightnow
Frequent Contributor

💔

Message 8 of 13
Cred4All
Valued Contributor

And if most folks were shopping those mortgage interest rate savings, then it's probably, like myself, we've all been stuck keeping our reports absolutely inquiry free during most of the year Smiley Happy. It's been a year of Inquiry anonymous sessions.

Message 9 of 13
sjt
Senior Contributor

The article does not provide data:

1. On the number of applications submitted in 2020 vs 2019. It would be interesting to see the DP of card approval/applications percentages in 2020 vs 2019.
  2. The delinquency rates in 2020 vs 2019.
  3. The amount of debt in 2020 vs 2019.
  4. They mention the Resilience Index, but most banks already have this data built in their own internal scoring system.
American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.