Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortgage Lenders Lowering FICO Score Requirements

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mortgage Lenders Lowering FICO Score Requirements

"All lenders are lowering credit qualifications across the board, but nonbank lenders lead the pack. Median FICO scores are around 713 for nonbanks compared with banks, where the median scores are 745, according to the Urban Institute’s Housing Finance Policy Center February Chartbook."

Lenders are quietly lowering FICO credit score requirements for mortgages

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Mortgage Lenders Lowering FICO Score Requirements

This was a great article. Thanks for sharing.

The scores and down payment may be decreasing a tad, but the prices of homes are still increasing, and IMO, at a fast rate.

I still don’t understand how millennials who have astronomical school debt will ever be able to purchase a home without a lot of financial assistance from their parents.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

That seems like an odd move considerng all the recent articles about higher CC debt, 90+ day late Auto Loans, and Mortgage defaults. 

I figured if anythig that they would tighten up a bit, no go the other way. Are they trying to make it easier for some people to get into more in debt? Because higher rates typically come with lower scores, thus costing people even more. 

Until the cost of housing stops rising like it is, or decreases a bit. The cost is still exorbitant in some cases, especially with a lower down and higher rate. I don't think most people truly look at how much is being paid toward interest, they just look at what they're approved for. It's pretty sad that you'll wind up paying just as much or more in interest, as the price of the house over the course of 30 years.

Locally there's been a housing shortage for years, but no one seems to be building. (At least affrodable Housing that is.) My guess is because it's to keep the current housng prices high, whether buying or renting. And more recently they've been building high end Apartments and houses that almost no one in the area can afford. This isn't LA, but certain investment groups seem to think you charge whatever you want wherever you want. 

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm....what could go wrong? 🤔

The last mortgage crisis is barely a decade old, and here we go again.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.