Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

0% Credit Utilization

tag
Zabathan
New Visitor

0% Credit Utilization

I'm new to MyFICO, and am still learning my way around managing my FICO score.  I've heard that having a credit utilization percentage of 0 is seen as a negative; is that true?  If so, what's the best way you all have found to consistantly have a balance on a card without paying interest?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
grinlikechelsea
Established Contributor

Re: 0% Credit Utilization

Yes, 0% utili does negatively affect your FICO score.

The way I have manageable balances report is I pay all of my balances on a few cards off while leaving a balance of one or two cards that autopays in full after the statement cuts. That way, I always have 1-9% utilization reporting. Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 10
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@grinlikechelsea wrote:

The way I have manageable balances report is I pay all of my balances on a few cards off while leaving a balance of one or two cards that autopays in full after the statement cuts. That way, I always have 1-9% utilization reporting. Smiley Happy

If it does it can't be much. I have only a very small bal of $40  on 1 card and my scores are the highest they have ever been. I just started getting my Discover Fico score 2 months ago, so i have not had time to play with my utilization yet.

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 3 of 10
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

O% scores at the 30% util level, you want a small balance reporting on 1 card. Once cent would be good enough to make 1% as FICO rounds it up.

Message 4 of 10
bada_bing
Frequent Contributor

Easiest way to not pay interest is to set up autopay from your bank account.

That won't result in totally tweaked scores all the time, but it won't be a "negative".

Quite the contrary, your underlying CR will improve with"age" of PIF payment history.

The score tweak of paying all but one card off right before statement cut will

result in your absolute best score generated from your current report data. I

believe such a score boost isn't as valuable as a lot of posters here seem to think.

If you read through the forums, there are a lot of posts about denials for people who's

scores appear to be good enough to warrant approval. A fico score is a one dimensional

number that imperfectly distills down an entire CR into a single number. But CCC's generally

use their own internal risk assestments generated from data in the CR. I would speculate that

in general, CCC internal models don't "tweak" in the same way that FICO scores do to utilization

optimizing just before the app. In other words, a FICO score "tweaked" isn't really as strong to

CC lenders as the score suggests, their internal scoring at least somewhat discounts the activity.

A person, for example, who scores 670 when just PIF on the due dates but scores 695 when tweaking

scores by paying all but one before the statement date will probably get treated not much differently between

the two behaviors. After all, the underlying CR is the same. That's not a reason to not put your best face

on your CR for apps, but I wouldn't expect it to have the amount of benefit suggested by FICO score alone.

JMHO.

+ 850 FICO8 since 2015, Thanks MyFICO - 5+ years since last HP
Message 5 of 10
mattmix36
Contributor

I was wondering about this too. My total revolving credit limit is roughly 150k. I don't want to keep a balance of $1500 to keep a 1% utilization. Say that I have $1-$1000 on one account, would this be rounded up to 1%?

My Wallet: AMEX Platinum | Citi AAdvantage Exec $20k | Chase Marriott Rewards Premier $12k | United MileagePlus Club 8k | FNBO $25k | Chase Military Officers Club $9k | Discover IT $5.5k | BankAmericard $30k | PENFED Platinum Cash Rewards $10.5k | Barclay Rewards $6.15k | USAA AMEX $15k | USAA MC $16k | NFCU Flagship Rewards $25k | Logix $15k | Chase Ink Cash $12k | Paypal MC $5k | Walmart Discover $5.4k | Chase Freedom $2k | Sallie Mae $2k | Target RedCard $300 | JP Morgan Ritz-Carlton Rewards $5k | BoA Alaska $1k

Message 6 of 10
Vegas247
Established Contributor

@mattmix36 wrote:
I was wondering about this too. My total revolving credit limit is roughly 150k. I don't want to keep a balance of $1500 to keep a 1% utilization. Say that I have $1-$1000 on one account, would this be rounded up to 1%?

$1-$1000 would definitely be rounded up to 1%......My question mattmix36 to you is, how do you keep all those credit card companies happy? Do you use all your cards every month and spend a lot on them? All my cards in my signature are all brand new, and I want to keep them all happy. 

$600 Barclaycard® Rewards MasterCard® - Average Credit $6500 Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express $30k credit card16k Chase Freedom® - $200 Bonus12k VSiggy
Message 7 of 10
johnicek
Valued Member

@grinlikechelsea wrote:

So total utilization is what counts? So having 0 on a couple cards won't hurt?

Message 8 of 10
mattmix36
Contributor

I try to spend a little on each card at least once every two months.  My reward cards, depending on which categories gives me the most bang for the buck, get used more than my other non-rewards cards.  For example, my penfed is used on gas every month to get my 5% kickback, as is my Ink used every month on phone/cable/internet for the 5% kickback, but my non-rewards FNBO visi is used once every other month...typically a $20 purchase just to keep it alive.

My Wallet: AMEX Platinum | Citi AAdvantage Exec $20k | Chase Marriott Rewards Premier $12k | United MileagePlus Club 8k | FNBO $25k | Chase Military Officers Club $9k | Discover IT $5.5k | BankAmericard $30k | PENFED Platinum Cash Rewards $10.5k | Barclay Rewards $6.15k | USAA AMEX $15k | USAA MC $16k | NFCU Flagship Rewards $25k | Logix $15k | Chase Ink Cash $12k | Paypal MC $5k | Walmart Discover $5.4k | Chase Freedom $2k | Sallie Mae $2k | Target RedCard $300 | JP Morgan Ritz-Carlton Rewards $5k | BoA Alaska $1k

Message 9 of 10
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Zabathan wrote:

I've heard that having a credit utilization percentage of 0 is seen as a negative; is that true?

Yup.  You can't demonstrate responsible credit usage with no usage.

@Zabathan wrote:

If so, what's the best way you all have found to consistantly have a balance on a card without paying interest?

Keep in mind that paying in full doesn't mean that you're reporting a 0 balance.  Balances are typically reported at statement cut (though some cards may report at other times).  To report a 0 balance you'd have to pay prior to statement close.  If you're paying in full after statement close and by the due date then you're letting a balance report and avoiding interest.

@bada_bing wrote:

The score tweak of paying all but one card off right before statement cut will

result in your absolute best score generated from your current report data. I

believe such a score boost isn't as valuable as a lot of posters here seem to think.

If you read through the forums, there are a lot of posts about denials for people who's

scores appear to be good enough to warrant approval.

I don't bother with it.  I have balances repoting on all my cards with ~14% overall utilization and my latest TU FICO from Discover was 794.  Sure, it could be better but that's good enough for me and I'd rather not micromanage my utilization.  What best for others though is for them to determine.  They may see more of a benefit from carefully managing and tweaking utilization.

Additionally, approvals aren't just about scores.

@johnicek wrote:

So total utilization is what counts? So having 0 on a couple cards won't hurt?

0 on a couple won't hurt.  It would be difficult to get to ideal utilization without some at 0.  However, overall and individual utilization matter (i.e. you generally don't want to max one or more cards).

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.