Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$900.00 cell phone bill

tag
aav
Established Contributor

Re: $900.00 cell phone bill

We've been with Sprint for abt 18 years. We also started a lease abt a year ago. Hubbys phone cracked (a hairline crack) a few weeks ago. He also has had recent trouble with the phone shutting down completely and not coming back up  for a few days. Sprint won't look at the hardware because seven f the crack. Even the the shutdown issue is a known LG issue. He decided died to go directly to LG and use the phone warranty to hopefully get it fixed. I don't like the lease either and even though we are grandfathered into a really good plan, the end of this contract may be the end if sprint for us.

EQ - 834 TU - 823 EX - 822
Amex NPSL Amex BCP - 25,000, Amex EDC - 12000, Diner's Club Premier -35,000, Ritz Carlton - 22,500 Discover 25,100, Chase Reserve -31,000 Total Rewards 13200, Barclay 10000 Citi Diamond P 8,900
Message 21 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@black_citi wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@black_citi wrote:

No I didn't talk to a sup. The $150 was the charge for canceling the agreement and I asked them why I needed to pay next months bill but they told me "its in your contract". Believe me, If I had been more observant of what I was doing I would have NEVER signed that agreement. gahhhhhhhh I feel so bad.

Is it really in the contract thus paying next months bill when a customer is unhappy?  I can undertand the $150, but paying next months bill?  How much do you owe on phone? The way I see it is, if you can deduct how much you owe on the phone from the $900 then it makes the break down easier..

So say the phone is worth $600, you can sell it on Ebay to get your money back.  Then now you are left with $300. Part of that is fee for disconnecting and next months bill.  Figure a way to fight that and you will be in business.

Read and read the contract again and again to see if there is a language hidden in there you can latch unto to make a case for yourself. If the store level isn't working then reach out to someone at a higher level..

Yes, I read it but it isn't very clear, least not to me. Here is what it says:

Device Ownership: • During the LEASE, Sprint owns the device. You may only purchase the device at the end of the lease term. Monthly Payments: • You will pay approximately $_29.95_______ per month for _24____months, these charges will appear on your invoice. Early Lease Termination: • If you terminate early, you’ll pay the remaining Lease payments and Purchase Option Price ($____150.00____) on the next bill. If you return the device to Sprint, only the Purchase Option Price will be refunded. Change Ownership: • If you request that someone else take over payments of your Lease, they will have to meet Sprint’s eligibility requirements. For more information, visit www.sprint.com/changeofownership. Returned Device Condition Requirements: • You are responsible for ensuring the device remains in good working order through the life of the lease. TEP/ AppleCare+ is recommended. • At the time of the device return, the device must meet the following conditions: o Must power on and the activation lock must be disabled (Apple & Android) o Have no screen or liquid damage End of Lease Options: • At the end of __24___ months, you may continue to pay for your device on a Month-to-Month basis or contact Sprint to do the following: o Return the device and upgrade  Returned Device Condition Requirements apply o Purchase your device for $___150.00_____ • You may choose to continue your lease on a Month-to-Month basis. o If you paid a capitalized cost reduction (CCR) at the start of your lease, or are subject to certain promotions or discounts, your monthly payment during the extended lease period may be higher than your monthly payment during the original lease term. Due at Signing • Capitalized Cost Reduction (CCR) o The CCR, also known as the amount Due at Signing, is the amount you pay plus Sprint discounts given at the time of purchase, which lowers your monthly lease payments. This is the amount due at signing less tax. • Tax o The amount of tax on the CCR which is also due at signing. Stay Connected: • Download Sprint Zone app to view and manage your Lease. Surcharges may apply in the following states: Rhode Island and New York For more information visit www.Sprint.com/lease

Terrible terms. But it doesn't  state anything about paying another months bill... Am I missing it? Let me read this again.

Message 22 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@black_citi wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@black_citi wrote:

No I didn't talk to a sup. The $150 was the charge for canceling the agreement and I asked them why I needed to pay next months bill but they told me "its in your contract". Believe me, If I had been more observant of what I was doing I would have NEVER signed that agreement. gahhhhhhhh I feel so bad.

Is it really in the contract thus paying next months bill when a customer is unhappy?  I can undertand the $150, but paying next months bill?  How much do you owe on phone? The way I see it is, if you can deduct how much you owe on the phone from the $900 then it makes the break down easier..

So say the phone is worth $600, you can sell it on Ebay to get your money back.  Then now you are left with $300. Part of that is fee for disconnecting and next months bill.  Figure a way to fight that and you will be in business.

Read and read the contract again and again to see if there is a language hidden in there you can latch unto to make a case for yourself. If the store level isn't working then reach out to someone at a higher level..

Yes, I read it but it isn't very clear, least not to me. Here is what it says:

Device Ownership: • During the LEASE, Sprint owns the device. You may only purchase the device at the end of the lease term. Monthly Payments: • You will pay approximately $_29.95_______ per month for _24____months, these charges will appear on your invoice. Early Lease Termination: • If you terminate early, you’ll pay the remaining Lease payments and Purchase Option Price ($____150.00____) on the next bill. If you return the device to Sprint, only the Purchase Option Price will be refunded. Change Ownership: • If you request that someone else take over payments of your Lease, they will have to meet Sprint’s eligibility requirements. For more information, visit www.sprint.com/changeofownership. Returned Device Condition Requirements: • You are responsible for ensuring the device remains in good working order through the life of the lease. TEP/ AppleCare+ is recommended. • At the time of the device return, the device must meet the following conditions: o Must power on and the activation lock must be disabled (Apple & Android) o Have no screen or liquid damage End of Lease Options: • At the end of __24___ months, you may continue to pay for your device on a Month-to-Month basis or contact Sprint to do the following: o Return the device and upgrade  Returned Device Condition Requirements apply o Purchase your device for $___150.00_____ • You may choose to continue your lease on a Month-to-Month basis. o If you paid a capitalized cost reduction (CCR) at the start of your lease, or are subject to certain promotions or discounts, your monthly payment during the extended lease period may be higher than your monthly payment during the original lease term. Due at Signing • Capitalized Cost Reduction (CCR) o The CCR, also known as the amount Due at Signing, is the amount you pay plus Sprint discounts given at the time of purchase, which lowers your monthly lease payments. This is the amount due at signing less tax. • Tax o The amount of tax on the CCR which is also due at signing. Stay Connected: • Download Sprint Zone app to view and manage your Lease. Surcharges may apply in the following states: Rhode Island and New York For more information visit www.Sprint.com/lease

Terrible terms. But it doesn't  state anything about paying another months bill... Am I missing it? Let me read this again.

Reading that mess really makes me appreciate my $15 a month no contract plan with free flip phone.

Message 23 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you haven't done anything already. I read you canceled contract with sprint. Get them too activate the terms and your number again. Go to tmobile or att both of them buy out lease, installments, or contracts up to 650. You'll be out a much smaller amount out of pocket
Message 24 of 33
_NERD
Established Contributor

I'm in a lease on an iPhone 6 Plus. I have the option to buy the device at the end of the lease for $200. The lease was a special offer for long time sprint customers and sprint offers a $10 credit on my $20 monthly lease payment.

I wanted to cancel my contract and go to Google Fi when the service launched. Oh man, the contract calls for my paying the entire lease, paying the $350 ETF on the line itself, and because I fried the phone's logic board replacing the battery myself, $200 for the device itself. By entire lease, that means Sprint's $10/mo credit goes away & I'd have to pay the entire remaining $480 of the lease.

It was cheaper to finish out my contract than it was to cancel service. I feel for the OP. November is right around the corner (to me), then I only have to pay the $200 for the broken 6 Plus & I'm free at last!

3B profile optimization in progress...
Message 25 of 33
Berk
Established Contributor

A good lesson to all of us to READ BEFORE WE SIGN!

Message 26 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Personally, I would cancel, sell the phone for as close as you can to what its worth in cash and then pay the rest of the bill back to Sprint.

Ruining your credit is a pretty big deal over something you did to yourself.

I used to work for AT&T so I am pretty used to hearing people trying to blame the corporation for their financial mistakes.

I literally had a customer once who got angry at me and told me she was going to cancel everything all because SHE missed a months payment and she had to pay two bills at that point. Just move forward and learn from that mistake. 

And if you really don't have $900 to part with, apply for a 0% card, add it to this and then pay it off as quickly as you can.

A dink for high balances is better than a dink for collections.

Then just apply with another company under a new lease program.

Message 27 of 33
nursepower
Frequent Contributor

Its the part that says the $150 will be on the next months bill.

"If you terminate early, you’ll pay the remaining Lease payments and Purchase Option Price ($____150.00____) on the next bill."

Not cool. But it is there.

BK DC 10/18/18
Walmart $400 | Target $500 | Playstation Visa $750 | Petco MasterCard ? | Best Buy Visa $2000 | Cap 1Quicksilver $2500 | Ollo $2700 | Kohl's $3000 | Comenity $3200 | Dell $4000 | Skypoint FCU $5000
Last app 6/2/21
Message 28 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is why we have att and we buy our phones unlocked and carrier free! For 2 lines wit unlimited call/text and 20gigs of roll over shared data between 2 lines we only pay $100! Take a look at the Moto G or Moto X if att is good in your area. Or Tmo for that matter.

Message 29 of 33
nursepower
Frequent Contributor

Rallaster...how do you pay only that? I have 3 lines on ATT, paying installments on one phone and I'm at $220 per month. Would love to get it under that.

BK DC 10/18/18
Walmart $400 | Target $500 | Playstation Visa $750 | Petco MasterCard ? | Best Buy Visa $2000 | Cap 1Quicksilver $2500 | Ollo $2700 | Kohl's $3000 | Comenity $3200 | Dell $4000 | Skypoint FCU $5000
Last app 6/2/21
Message 30 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.