Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AAoA tanked after selling house?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AAoA tanked after selling house?

Looking for some advice on what my options are here...  

I lived in my previous home for 13 years paying a primary and 2nd mortgage the entire time.  We filed for BK13 in 2009 and it was discharged in 2014 and removed completely from my credit reports in April of this year.  I started reopening lines of credit in 2014 and have some decent lines at this point but everything except my mortgage is fairly new as all the derogatory old stuff was dumped off the reports. 

We sold our home in July, 2016, completely paid off the 1st and 2nd mortgages and moved into a new home.  The new mortgage on our new home just hit the credit agencies this month (November) however I noticed my scores were tanking so I did some inquries and found that my previous mortgages have completely dropped off my credit reports which (obviously) tanked my AAoA.  I read somewhere that mortgages should stay on the books for 10 years after closing them in good standing.  Is this accurate?  Is there anything I can do or do I just need to begin all over again rebuilding my oldest account?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AAoA tanked after selling house?

Most closed accounts vanish from credit reports after 10 years and stop impacting AAoA.  There's nothing you can do about this.  Only time will grow your AAoA again at a max of 1 year per year.  Of course opening new accounts will result in it growing at < 1 year per year, so opening as few new accounts as possible will allow your AAoA to grow as quickly (if there is such a thing) as it can.  Hopefully you don't have any other old closed accounts that will be falling off any time soon.

Message 2 of 13
newhis
Valued Contributor

I don't think this is normal. Accounts stays up to 10 years but they can drop sooner.

This is the first time that I read about a loan that drop so fast from reports.

I hope someone can give you some advice.

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, yes... After re-reading my initial post I realize maybe I was not very clear in the timing of this.  We had our 1st mortgage since 2003 and 2nd mortgage since 2005 so I was surprised to see them both drop off when we sold the home in July, 2016.  I figured they would be on there until at least 2026.  

I can actually see the AAoA drop from 13 years 9 months in July to 4 years and 2 months in August.  Doesn't seem fair...

Anyone else ever heard of this?  Is there anything I can do?

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

During the spring of this year, were those two mortgages the oldest accounts on your profile?  (Closed or open.)

Also, what tools are you using to check your credit reports?

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditGuyInDixie no they were not the oldest accounts... We've had car loans for years and I think there was even an old credit line that was not wiped by the BK13.

As far as the tools, right now I'm just using the various FAKO sites to see this as well as the credit score sites on Capital One, Home Depot and Walmart... The last real report I pulled from this site was in August 2016 and they still show on that report.  

Are you thinking they may still be there on my real reports?  My next full free credit report pull isn't until next year - April, I believe...  Or January or whenever the annualcreditreport.com site flips over.

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous no they were not the oldest accounts... We've had car loans for years and I think there was even an old credit line that was not wiped by the BK13.

As far as the tools, right now I'm just using the various FAKO sites to see this as well as the credit score sites on Capital One, Home Depot and Walmart... The last real report I pulled from this site was in August 2016 and they still show on that report.  

Are you thinking they may still be there on my real reports?  My next full free credit report pull isn't until next year - April, I believe...  Or January or whenever the annualcreditreport.com site flips over.

Just so I can be 100% certain we are on the same wavelength, it sounds like you are saying that, in Aug 2016, you had a closed car loan on your credit report with a "Date Opened" that was earlier than the date opened for your first mortgage (2003).  That's possible, but it surprises me a bit.  A car loan like that would have probably fallen off your reports before 2016.

It nonetheless is possible, however.  If so, what is the "date opened" for the closed car loan on the Aug 2016 report?  When is the date closed?

One of the reasons I was asking is that I think it is more likely that the thing that has changed is not your AAoA (Average Age of Accounts) but rather your AOA (Age of Oldest Account).

I ask about the tools you are using just to know where you are getting your info about your reports and your AAoA and so on.  If you are using Credit Karma that's a great resource for your credit reports.  Learn how to navigate to the link where it lets you print out the entire full report.  You can do that for both EQ and again for TU.  Print them out on single sided paper and then you'll be able to take a pen to them, circle stuff you went to follow up on, etc.  Feel free to print them twice or even three times a month if you like.  Karma gives you brand new data every 7 days.

But what you do NOT want to use Karma for is the web-based "summary" of your credit report that is at the front end.  It looks really user friendly and everything but it will tell you untrue things about age-related factors like AAoA and AOA.  Karma's summary software is ancient and it ignores closed accounts, which all major scoring algorithms include.

If you are not a member of Credit Karma yet, I encourage you to join (with the caveat to ignore everything its summary software says about account age).  Use it to pull your EQ and TU reports.

Also you should sign up with Experian to get a free monthly credit report:

http://www.experian.com/consumer-products/free-credit-report.html

Between Karma and the link I just gave you, you will be able to access all three of your credit reports once a month for free, without waiting for annualcreditreport.com.  Actually, with Karma you will be able to get your TU and EQ reports 3 or 4 times a month if you really want.

If you don't mind, get back to me with the answer about your old pre-2003 car loan and also print out your full credit reports.  Those are the tools you should be using if you think that important accounts may have dropped off.

Message 7 of 13
newhis
Valued Contributor

Good info CreditGuyInDixie.

Sometimes I assume things that may be not what the OP was reporting.

OP you can pull your reports and FICO scores for $1 trial at CCT site (cancel before 7 days), but with free TU/EQ reports from CK and free EX report directly from Experian, you may not need that. Maybe the mortgages still there and the AAoA you saw and the score drop are not "real". You should expect a score drop because your new mortgage reports almost at 100% but that will change as you pay it down. Good luck.

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

One reason for our OP to check his full reports is that, if he was relying on the summary section of Karma, it would indeed tell him that his AAoA had dropped as well as (possibly) his age of oldest account account.  That's because Karma's defective summary software ignores closed accounts, which the actual FICO and Vantage algorithms include.  If he prints out the full reports at Karma, however, he might well see those mortgages staring back at him, happy to say hello -- just closed now rather than open.

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Edit:  I was typing this as you typed your last response.  Yep, that's it!  Smiley Happy

Nope, we aren't on the same wavelength... My student loans are actually the oldest accounts on my record with the now closed mortgage a close second...  Again, I apologize for not explaining this correctly.  I think I understand what is happening now though as you stated:

"Karmas's summary software is ancient and it ignores closed accounts."

I am using Credit Karma - it is one of the FAKO's I was talking about - and when I look there I do see my 1st mortgage with open date of Sep 20, 2002 but the status is closed (as expected).  So that "has" to be it...  In the summary it was reporting 13 years and is now reporting less than 4 years.  And i did confirm it is AAoA and not AoA.

Accounts:

Sep 17, 2002 - Student Loan (Closed)

Sep 17, 2002 - Student Loan (Closed)

Sep 20, 2002 - Mortgage (Closed)

etc... etc...

So now the oldest (OPEN) account on my record is that old credit line I was talking about and is a US Bank card May 01, 2007 (Open - Current)

To answer your other questions, the car loans are as follows:

Dec 30, 2005 (Closed)

Aug 29, 2008 (Closed)

Aug 30, 2014 (Closed)

Apr 13, 2016 (Open - Current)

So thank you again for that wonderful information about Credit Karma.  I have been using them since my BK13 rebuild began in 2014 and they have been wonderful but I did not know they did not take into account Closed accounts.  

Explains it fully.  Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.