Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aafes and wage garnishment

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Aafes and wage garnishment

HELP!  I live in North Carolina and received a notice from Transworld on behalf of Aafes telling me they are going to garnish my wages for an outstanding debt.  In the state of NC, wage garnishment is not typically allowed since it is an unsecured debt.  However, they are saying they are backed by the US Gov.  I read the credit app I used to apply for the Military Star Card and it says the card is issued by a private banking entity.  I believe back when I originally applied they had some cards that were issued by Chase and another creditor.  Can anyone give me pointers on how to prevent the wage garnishment.  I have tried to work out a payment arrangement but they are asking for 25% down and monthly payments of $300.  Any advice?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Aafes and wage garnishment

You would actually need to get this before the judge who granted the judgment and prove that this is a private backed financial product and is not guaranteed by any governmental entity.

Message 2 of 6
Khooks2
Established Member

Well they can’t garnish wages without a court order. Did you receive a summons to appear in court?

Message 3 of 6
amck12
New Contributor

Yes they can garnish your wages without a civil court. The military star card is a special case, and I would quit using it ASAP, I find it very scammy. Get a rewards card with Navy Fed or Pen Fed, way better deal, and you don't have the government messing around in your wallet. Also, like with the Government Travel Card, abuse of these cards can affect your career. Send them a certified letter asking them for proof of the debt, and contact aafes to see if they got third party collections involved to make sure they're legit.

https://www.armytimes.com/pay-benefits/2017/09/23/military-star-card-5-things-to-know/

https://www.military.com/paycheck-chronicles/2016/11/22/military-star-card-questions-answers

Chase Freedom - $6.7K SL - Opened 10/2008
Paypal Smart Connect - $1.9K SL - Opened 06/2009
USAA Rewards - $12.6K SL - Opened 02/2011
Syn Care Credit - $18K SL - Opened 05/2017
Chase Amazon - $2.3K SL - Opened 07/2012
Chase Slate - $4.2K SL - Opened 06/2019
NFCU Platinum - $18K SL - Opened 06/2019
NFCU Flagship - $25K SL - Opened 09/2019

Fico 8 (USAA/Discover): 706 (09/2019), 716 (05/2020)
Fico 9 (NFCU): 738 (10/2019), 782 (05/2020)

Fico 8 3 bureau (Creditchecktotal): EX-709 EQ-723 TU-723 (10/2019)

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. That's pretty much what I was told but this account is from 2012. NC has some very restrictive garnishment laws but should they send it to USTreasury, they will honor it.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your response, but there was no judge or judgement. They are using Administrative law to do it.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.