Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding Authorized User

tag
CivalV
Established Contributor

Adding Authorized User

Hello! So I have been rebuilding my credit. I currently have a Discover secured card of $300. I make purchases for my spouse and he pays it back to me. We PIF before statement cuts every month. I was given the option to add him as an authorized user. My biggest concern is will this CC solely report on his credit report or all of my credit report information for overall accounts will layover to his? The Discover CC is in good standing, it is about 4 months old. He has no credit history, not even one credit card & filed for BK a couple of years ago. My question is will this help his report? Is it worth it? Would it be good for short term until he can open his own cards? He doesnt even prequalify for secured cards.

My overall credit profile is not stellar as you can see which is why I want to make sure just the Discover CC will be the only thing transferable onto his report. I surely do not want to bring down his score & want to make sure this is worth it. 

Thanks in advance. 

10 REPLIES 10
imaximous
Valued Contributor

Re: Adding Authorized User

Only a CC that he's been added to may report to his credit. Nothing else.
If he has no credit at all, it can definitely help him as long as the credit card is in good standing. But he's going to need more than just one AU CC to build his own credit.
Message 2 of 11
CivalV
Established Contributor

Thank you for the prompt reply. I just read all the pros and cons and had to make sure just that card would report and nothing else. Hopefully it will give him a score boost and he can open his own secured card soon. When removing someone as an authorized user, will it have a negative impact on his score? Should he open a card while he is an authorized user on mine?
Message 3 of 11
CivalV
Established Contributor

Thank you for the information! I will call in now.
Message 4 of 11
imaximous
Valued Contributor

@CivalV wrote:
Thank you for the prompt reply. I just read all the pros and cons and had to make sure just that card would report and nothing else. Hopefully it will give him a score boost and he can open his own secured card soon. When removing someone as an authorized user, will it have a negative impact on his score? Should he open a card while he is an authorized user on mine?

Lots of variables there. If he's never had credit before, it may take a few months to even generate a score. I don't know how Discover works with secured cards (never had one), but the regular cards do report AUs to CBs. That's why I said "may" report in my first response. When you call, ask Discover about that.

As far as a negative impact, that also depends on when you remove him. If he's already established his own credit, the impact may be minimal. Utilization is probably not going to be an issue either since the card has a very small limit of $300. But again, that also depends on his own CLs and usage at the time. There may also be an impact to AAoA because you'd wipe out the history of the card from his report. When you close a card, the history remains, but since you're removing him, the bank will stop reporting and may also remove all history as if it never existed. That's also a question for the specific lender.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you add someone as an AU to an account, just that account will show up on their CR... not all of your accounts.

If he has no credit history at all, this account would bring him from 0 months of credit history to 4 months.  It takes 6 months to generate a FICO score, but it would be a start I suppose.

You have the BK present?  From your post it sounded like you said he has a BK, but then said he has no credit history which confused me.

Message 6 of 11
CivalV
Established Contributor

Sorry for the confusion. I meant no history with credit cards, car loans etc. He is the one with the BK.
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CivalV

I merged your two posts together.  Regardless of the situation, cross posting is confusing to other forum members trying to assist you and more importantly, it is a violation of MyFICO's Forums Terms of Service.  Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CivalVSorry for the confusion. I meant no history with credit cards, car loans etc. He is the one with the BK.

So what does he have credit history with then that resulted in the BK?  Basically, my question is what types of accounts (open or closed) and how many are on his credit reports?

Message 9 of 11
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The authorizer user process permits a creditor to report the account of consumer A to the credit file of a consumer B, provided the creditor consents to do so.  

The authorized user process does not apply to CRAs reporting information from the file of consumer A to the file of consumer B.

Thus, if a creditor agrees to reporting an AU to the file of consumer B, only their account is reported.

The creditor cannot report the accounts of other creditors, and a CRA does not report information from the file of one consumer to that of another.

As for effect on the credit of the AU, by definition, once a consumer has an AU account added to their credit report, any score generated from that report is no longer representative of their own, individual credit history.

Yes, a consumer can obtain a score increase by adding of a good AU account, but if they then apply for new credit, the prospective creditor can choose, as part of their approval process, to do a more complete manual review of the consumer's credit report.

If they see the presence of an AU account, that informs them that the score they are receiving is not limited to an assessment of only the named consumer's credit history.  They can thus choose to discount or disregard the score since it is not an assessment of only that consumer's risk analysis.

AU additions that improve scoring are very useful when building or rebuilding, as the credit being sought is usually at a lower level for which many creditors rely only on a score and dont do a more thorough manual review.  They thus are not aware that the score is based in part on the credit history of another.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.