Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express MyCreditGuide - Credit Monitoring Service

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

American Express MyCreditGuide - Credit Monitoring Service

I was perusing Frequent Miler Boarding Area and noticed a post about a new free credit monitoring service from Amex.  The score provided is TU Vantage 3.0 (not very useful) which is similar to Credit Karma, etc.  The service may provide preapprovals after enrollment.  This could be useful as another monitoring service (though it doesn't count closed cards for monitoring 5/24 status) for some but even more useful for those rebuilders or credit newbies that have yet to get preapprovals from AMEX's preapproval link and are not already members.  In a sense, it puts you on their radar.  Details below.

Synopsis - Likely only useful for preapprovals, if you're during the (re)building stage.

MyCreditScore - https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/features-benefits/free-credit-score/

Boarding Area Article - https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.com/2018/05/27/american-express-launches/ 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: American Express MyCreditGuide - Credit Monitoring Service

They're unable to pull my credit report right now. Maybe I'm blacklisted from their credit monitoring service. Smiley Sad

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Worked for me and I don't even have an American Express Card!  LOL

Message 3 of 7
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

And for this, they quit giving us our real FICO Experian scores. Crap. Their "new" credit guide (which they just offered me on my account for the first time today, despite this thread being many months old) is basically the same old thing we can get from CreditKarma or CapOne.

A free Experian FICO score was hard to get. This new feature is not only dime a dozen, but it's one more thing they want us to give up personal data, including SSN to get. For someone who was already onboard with their old free score, it's not worth it. Now if they would have started offering this service, but with a real FICO and from Experian instead of TransUnion, that would have been something.

If you don't already use CreditKarma or another free service, it might be worthwhile.

Message 4 of 7
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

No, the free Fico EX is still there. I activated MyCreditGuide this week not knowing what it was. Once I saw it was TU Vantage I quickly exited and found my Fico EC. it's still there in account settings, under benefits as I recall.

Message 5 of 7
JoeLuvsHisCredit
Valued Contributor

i get my experian from fingerhut, Discover Scorecard and a few  more places.

Message 6 of 7
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

I'm glad to hear that the free Experian score is still there for you, DaveinAZ. Mine's gone. I've looked under Benefits, Rewards, Account Services, and all over the home page. I've looked twice and I don't find it anywhere.

I hope it turns out I'm just stupidly missing it. I'd rather make a fool of myself here than give up my free Amex Experian score!

UPDATED: Found it with the help of live chat. Account Services --> Personal Details. I notice they didn't update the score at the end of November, though. So I'll cross my fingers and hope that's not just an archived result and that they're phasing out the Experian FICO. The chat rep told me it will continue to update, but time will tell. Thank you, DaveinAZ.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.