Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex CreditSecure is a Scam

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex CreditSecure is a Scam

Bought daily monitoring for car shopping. Canceled before the first month ended by phone and was given cancelation number. Charged for second month. Contact Amex with cancelation number. They say no proof of cancelation and leave the charge on. Obviously I'm closing this account without paying it and suing the **** out of them if they try to mess with my credit. What else can I do to get the word out about this scam?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Amex CreditSecure is a Scam

@Anonymous wrote:

Bought daily monitoring for car shopping. Canceled before the first month ended by phone and was given cancelation number. Charged for second month. Contact Amex with cancelation number. They say no proof of cancelation and leave the charge on. Obviously I'm closing this account without paying it and suing the **** out of them if they try to mess with my credit. What else can I do to get the word out about this scam?

I suggest you start with the BBB and I would pay it or they will ding your report, you can always recoup the amount later.

Message 2 of 13
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Exactly.. pay it. If you are sure that you cancelled it then call back and keep asking for a supervisor to get the charge reversed. But, I would call Credit Secure and not Amex themselves with regard to reversing the charge.
Message 3 of 13
EW800
Valued Contributor

I agree with gdale and Kenny completely. Pay it and then fight to get reimbursed. If you are focused on your credit report and scores like most of us are here, such a small dollar amount just isn't worth rolling the dice on, in my opinion.
Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 839; EQ8: 845; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 4 of 13
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If you paid by way of CC, you have recourse to a billing dispute under the FCBA.

Message 5 of 13
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

They should have cancelled it but that doesn't mean that it's a scam.  Be careful assuming intent when it could be negligence.  Using your definition every business out there would be a scam since you can always find someone who has had a problem with a given company.

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Providing a cancellation number, saying it was canceled, and continuing to bill isn't a scam? I know credit card lovers are in love with Amex, but if someone took $25 out of your wallet, you'd be calling the police no questions asked.

And you'd really let someone steal to protect your credit score? All you have to do is stand up for yourself. If you have proof of cancelation and they try to send you to collections for charges after that, you're going to win a boat load of money for FCRA violations.

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Providing a cancellation number, saying it was canceled, and continuing to bill isn't a scam? I know credit card lovers are in love with Amex, but if someone took $25 out of your wallet, you'd be calling the police no questions asked.

And you'd really let someone steal to protect your credit score? All you have to do is stand up for yourself. If you have proof of cancelation and they try to send you to collections for charges after that, you're going to win a boat load of money for FCRA violations.

I understand being upset but I think you're overreacting a bit with words like 'steal' and 'scam' both of which assume intent.  People make mistakes including those that work with Amex.  People are suggesting you pay the second month to avoid any issues with your credit score and then work on getting your money back.  It's sound advice but ultimately it's up to you

Message 8 of 13
Ubuntu
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I understand being upset but I think you're overreacting a bit with words like 'steal' and 'scam' both of which assume intent.  People make mistakes including those that work with Amex.  People are suggesting you pay the second month to avoid any issues with your credit score and then work on getting your money back.  It's sound advice but ultimately it's up to you

Very well said.

Message 9 of 13
taxi818
Super Contributor

just think of the time to correct the baddies on your score. so pay it and fight it after the fact. for sure. in days of ole. i would have been like you. like no way in hell do i pay it. but to save yourself. and no. even if it was a scam. you will not get a boatload of money. not in any circumstance. even if amex was fined. you still would not. so just pay it. and keep fighting.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.