Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized user question

tag
RichieNY
Contributor

Authorized user question

I'm sure this has been asked before so I apologize. I used to post here a long time ago

My grandmother has just passed and I had realized I am an authorized user on one of her cards with a high balance. 

I never used the card she did it to help me build my credit (rip)

I disputed it this morning on all three bureaus on the credit karma site for trans union, the equifax site and the experian site 

I can't afford to pay that balance and I know legally I'm not obligated to. But I'm terrified it will tank my credit (I'm currently at 760)

I know if it charges off that will kill my score 

is it relatively easy to have auth user status/account removed via dispute? Chase bank wouldn't help me when I called that's why i disputed 

as per credit karma transunion deleted immediately. I am waiting for the other 2

worry or don't worry? 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Re: Authorized user question

Don't stress over it. Disputing the account should have it removed. It normally isn't hard to get an AU account removed. 

The effect on your score can not be guessed at since you did not provide any information on your profile. 

The card is going to be closed soon when the lender hears of her death (my condolences on your loss) from the executor of her estate. 

Message 2 of 7
RichieNY
Contributor

Thank you

yea I have several credit accounts and a mortgage all in good standing

i know the authorized user reporting history impacts score so it would be devestated 

just wasn't sure if it would be easy or hard to have an account remove that's auth user status. I figured it would be easy because I'm not legally obligated but wanted to be sure

thank you 

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Easy as pie!
Message 4 of 7
seattletravels
Valued Contributor

It shouldn't be hard to remove.  You'll see a DP in score due to the drop in AAoA and potentially util% depending on how high the CL was.

Last App: BECU 02-26-2020
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Message 5 of 7
RichieNY
Contributor

Update so far

-disputed on credit karma : removed from transunion immediately with no wait (weird)

disputed on equifax : removed two days later

disputed on experian : pending 

wonder why experian takes longer

just hope it stays off when the card charges off 

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations! That's a standard response; it may not take that long, they'll notify you.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.