cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Loan or Maxed Out Credit Card First??

tag
ZMBPHD
Valued Member

Auto Loan or Maxed Out Credit Card First??

I'm in need of advice from the myFICO community.  I've learned a great deal from this forum and i've searched for this topic and couldn't find one. 

I am about to purchase a car and a new HVAC system, in the near future.  However, I am not sur which to apply for first.  I'm not sure if purchasing one first will limit my chances of the other.  The HVAC will be put on a WELLS FARGO HOME PROJECTS VISA which is a revolving credit line and will be maxed out for a while until i make enough payments to get the balance paid down.  The amount of the system should be around the 17k price range, if not a little more. so basically 17k in credit card debt since it's not an installment loan.  The other will be an auto loan which will be an intallment loan of around 40kmax.  is there anyone out there who knows which would be the best route in this matter? 

8-14/12-14 Ex-739/772 EQ-723/778 TU-736/769
California Credit Union Visa $10,000-Wells Fargo Platinum Visa-$3700-Cap1 Mastercard-$500-Chase Visa-$700-American Eagle Visa-$4000-GAP Visa-$5500-Lowes-$1700-Home Depot-$900-Macy's-$900-Shell Gas-$800-Kohls-$800-JCP-500-Sears-$3250-Best Buy-$1200-Amazon-$2000-Living Spaces$3500-Care Credit-$1000
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Auto Loan or Maxed Out Credit Card First??

In my opinion, auto loan first.  Sort the rate out from as pretty a credit report as possible, then do the HVAC which is going to be fixed APR / promotion regardless of how the car goes, whereas a maxxed out tradeline is a much larger penalty and may impact your auto loan rate and possibly downpayment requirements.

        
Message 2 of 4
ZMBPHD
Valued Member

That makes sense. Better to get a great interest rate on the car since the hvac will be 0% interest for 36 months (not that it would take that long to pay it off).
I have to add that I have yet to apply for the home projects visa. Will having a large car payment affect my dti in a way that would prevent me from getting the visa for such a large amount? That was one of my concerns
8-14/12-14 Ex-739/772 EQ-723/778 TU-736/769
California Credit Union Visa $10,000-Wells Fargo Platinum Visa-$3700-Cap1 Mastercard-$500-Chase Visa-$700-American Eagle Visa-$4000-GAP Visa-$5500-Lowes-$1700-Home Depot-$900-Macy's-$900-Shell Gas-$800-Kohls-$800-JCP-500-Sears-$3250-Best Buy-$1200-Amazon-$2000-Living Spaces$3500-Care Credit-$1000
Message 3 of 4
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@ZMBPHD wrote:
That makes sense. Better to get a great interest rate on the car since the hvac will be 0% interest for 36 months (not that it would take that long to pay it off).
I have to add that I have yet to apply for the home projects visa. Will having a large car payment affect my dti in a way that would prevent me from getting the visa for such a large amount? That was one of my concerns

Not remotely close honestly: DTI really counts for mortgage and not so much for anything else, cars would be next presumably but they're far looser in their underwriting requirements.  

I don't know anything about that particular card though: if it were me I'd go hit the car and then likely go apply for the card in short order after that.

        
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.