Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best approach for a thin credit file

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best approach for a thin credit file

I am helping my mom build her credit as she hasnt had anything substantial in her file.
She currently has:
The good:
Revolver-Fingerhut- balance =0/ CL = 400 /open for 6 months , never used the credit line.
Bank loan for 1500.00 that was open for 12 month, never late .
Cap One - 300 CL/ 0 balance, opened Oct 1st 2018

The bad:
Collection -Medical collection- 1900$ from 4 years ago
Collection-Cable bill- balance 500/ 2 years ago

She lives on a fixed income, but to start out , would it be better to carry a very minimum balance on her CC with timely payments? Or PIF and let a zero balance report?The new Cap One probably wont report until December is what I expect.And should she leave the Fingerhut account alone , or charge something small and pay on it ?Looking to maximize all points possible. We have already discussed getting the collections either settled or removed if possible, but that wont be until after the 1st of the year.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best approach for a thin credit file

On any new card she should charge something small early on.  One purchase is enough.  Because she has never made any purchases on the Fingerhut card it is in danger of being closed due to inactivity.  Once a card she been used at least once, all she need to do is use it once every since months to keep it open.

On one of her cards she should make one transaction for something small, let it appear on the next statement, and then pay that statement in full.  Do that every month.  Both cards do not need to be used every month.

Message 2 of 4
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

I'm going to get radical and suggest that Mom can close Fingerhut if she wants to. She'd lose the benefit of a second active card. But the account, along with its six or seven pretty green check marks, will remain on her report and contribute to her overall file thickness.

As she probably knows, Fingerhut's business model is to extend credit to those whose reports are less than stellar. In exchange, customers buy cheap products for too much money. If she prefers to keep the account open for a few more months, she should follow CGID's advice and buy something. I'd spend as little as possible, then pay the balance in full as soon as the transaction posts.

For scoring, it's beneficial to report a small balance on one card, with the rest of one's cards reporting zero. Both of Mom's cards report the statement balance on or soon after the statement date. If Fingerhut has a balance of zero, this defaults to leaving the small balance on her Capital One card.

I see a couple of options for Capital One. One option is to make a small charge as CGID suggests, let the balance report, then pay the balance in full. Another would be using the card here and there, bringing the balance down to a desirable amount before the statement cuts, then paying in full once the money becomes due.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Highly suggest NFCU and go for a credit card. If denied go for the secured and in 91 days apply for an unsecured. NFCU was key for me they are great and I started around where you were as far as thin
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.