Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black market surveillance

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Black market surveillance

Hi all, I just woke up to an alert that my info is for sale on the black market. It has my whole name, an old address, and an email that I don't recognize. It was created in March 2017 which is the date when I moved out of the alleged address. What should I do? I've been monitoring my credit and there doesn't seem to be anything suspicious. I am not going to be applying for anything soon, should I just freeze my reports, or change some passwords?
Thanks.
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
19eighty5
Senior Contributor

Re: Black market surveillance

I received a similar alert this morning from Experian that my phone number is reflecting in online results. No sure how to handle this.

FICO 8 (Feb 2018):EX- 519, TU- 530, EQ- 545
FICO 8 (Sept 2022):EX- 706, TU- 685, EQ- 684
What's in my wallet:

Message 2 of 12
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Freezing your reports is a great step to keep ahead. Changing passwords is also recommended. Just keep an eye on your reports for suspicious activity.
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I woke up to three of these alerts this morning from myFICO and Cap One's Credit Wise. I searched the forums about the dark web and I am not too concerned. I did change my pw's, but that's all I did.

Message 4 of 12
QuakerOatmeal
Regular Contributor

This past week Cap 1 also alerted me that my info was found on the dark web. Apparently Funimation lost it, how is it possible that a company can lose your info, and never bothers to contact you? At the very least own up to your mistake and send out a robot email!

I dont even know what to do about it at this point.

Message 5 of 12
LunaBuna
Regular Contributor

If a business lost security of your info, they are typically at a minimum pay for credit reproting for you to a period of time.   One year would be the absolute minimum.

Message 6 of 12
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If you hjave evidence of some actual identity theft, you have the right to also impose an extended fraud alert with the CRAs under the provisions of FCRA 605A.

An extended alert lasts beyond the limited period of a 90-day initial fraud alert, thus requiring your specific contact and consent for approval of any new credit.

The price for an extended fraud alert is that it must be accompanied by a copy of a police report.

Whatever basis was used to determine that your identity was available to others on the black market would be sufficient basis for filing a police report, which can then be used to impose an extended fraud alert, and additionally, if any information were to be reported to your credit file based on use of your identity, the police report would also serve as basis to immediately get that reporting blocked from your credit report under the identity theft process of FCRA 605B without any investigation or involvemenet by the reporting party.

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also got these alerts just last week.  Kind of worried me because I actually put in a few apps (cc and auto) the day before then woke up to being on the "black market" and "dark web". I don't really understand what it means...there are 3 alerts and the files were "created" in 2017, 2016, and 2013.  The Credit Wise (Cap One) alerts say that my email was found on the dark web.  MyFICO says something similar, same exact dates but says black market.  It seems to just be my email address that was found, so I changed my password.  Not sure if I should change all my online passwords or what. Sounds like maybe this isn't a big deal, but just odd that the alerts from both Credit Wise and MyFICO came up immediately after I applied for new credit.  I think maybe CK also sent an alert....

Message 8 of 12
JVille
Valued Contributor

Change passwords to crazy hard ones and put a freeze on all three CB.
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks JVille, I think that's exactly what I'm going to do!  Didn't work this hard to get hacked and have to deal with identity fraud!!!Smiley Frustrated

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.