Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CA just reported debt to CRA over 7 years old

tag
natasjlp
Regular Contributor

CA just reported debt to CRA over 7 years old

I supposedly have an energy bill that was charged off in Nov 2010 (according to CRA EX) and the status was only supposed to continue on record until Feb 2011, according to EX. Date opened was 02/2002, reported since 09/2009 on the EX CR.

I recieved a letter from a CA earlier this year about the energy bill in question (in February) and did think to respond because EX stated it was no longer on record after Feb 2011. the "Date of Service" on the letter says 07/29/04 (not sure what that means).

Now I have a 'new' debt reported on EX from this 'new' CA saying that I owe the exact amount for the energy Bill and also states the OC as National Grid as in the letter and the CR.

I just sent out a DV letter certified mail today and now don't know what to expect. Can the CA just open a new debt against me and start the clock all over again? Shows they 'opened' it against me Feb 1 2011 on the CR.

Interesting note - it has only been reported to EX currently.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: CA just reported debt to CRA over 7 years old

@natasjlp wrote:

I supposedly have an energy bill that was charged off in Nov 2010 (according to CRA EX) and the status was only supposed to continue on record until Feb 2011, according to EX. Date opened was 02/2002, reported since 09/2009 on the EX CR.

I recieved a letter from a CA earlier this year about the energy bill in question (in February) and did think to respond because EX stated it was no longer on record after Feb 2011. the "Date of Service" on the letter says 07/29/04 (not sure what that means).

Now I have a 'new' debt reported on EX from this 'new' CA saying that I owe the exact amount for the energy Bill and also states the OC as National Grid as in the letter and the CR.

I just sent out a DV letter certified mail today and now don't know what to expect. Can the CA just open a new debt against me and start the clock all over again? Shows they 'opened' it against me Feb 1 2011 on the CR.

Interesting note - it has only been reported to EX currently.

The date you need to find out for sure is DoFD (Date of First Delinquency). That is what starts the CRTP (Credit Reporting Time Period).

CO's and collections can report for no longer than 7.5 years from the DoFD on the OC account that led to the CO or collection.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 2 of 12
natasjlp
Regular Contributor

Right, how exactly do I find out the DoFD?

Message 3 of 12
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@natasjlp wrote:

Right, how exactly do I find out the DoFD?

The best place is from the OC if they still have those records. Or from any records you might have saved.

Or from your credit reports. You don't say where you got your reports but reports from third party sites (including myFICO) often don't have the most complete information. If you pull your free reports from annualcreditreport.com Experian and Transunion will have the drop off dates. The Equifax report will show the actual DoFD.

IME those dates are pretty accurate.

From a BK years ago to:

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 4 of 12
natasjlp
Regular Contributor

This is what I have for info and dates. Full EX CR from ACR from Nov 2010 (doesn't show new CA) says the drop off date is Feb 2011. Specificall says, "This account is cheduled to continue on record until Feb 2011."

Letter new CA sent me Feb 2011 says "DATE OF SERVICE: 07/29/04" when referencing the OC. Not sure exactly what that means..

CCT (CreditCheckTotal.com one of my credit watching services) shows "Date Open: 2/1/2011"

Should I pay for a new fresh CR from EX? I will also contact National Grid (the OC) and what specifically should I ask them when on the phone?

Message 5 of 12
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@natasjlp wrote:

This is what I have for info and dates. Full EX CR from ACR from Nov 2010 (doesn't show new CA) says the drop off date is Feb 2011. Specificall says, "This account is cheduled to continue on record until Feb 2011."

Letter new CA sent me Feb 2011 says "DATE OF SERVICE: 07/29/04" when referencing the OC. Not sure exactly what that means..

CCT (CreditCheckTotal.com one of my credit watching services) shows "Date Open: 2/1/2011"

Should I pay for a new fresh CR from EX? I will also contact National Grid (the OC) and what specifically should I ask them when on the phone?

By all means the first thing I'd do is call the OC and find out of they can help you at all. Ask them if they still own the debt. Probably not but it's worth asking about. If they still own it see if they will take payment from you and recall the collection from the CA. There are some on these boards who will tell you that an OC has no authority to "pull back" a collection from a CA but it can and does happen.

If they have sold the debt and can't take payment ask them if they can tell you the DoFD.

Do you know what the SOL (Statute of Limitations) for debt is in your state? I would find that out. I would think (could be wrong) that this would be considered a written contract. If the SOL has expired I would send a DV letter to the new CA. I wouldn't call them.

I'm not sure about any significance of the "Date of Service". That could be the same as the DoFD but I don't know.

At this point I wouldn't pay for another EX report but that's up to you.

From a BK years ago to:

Message 6 of 12
natasjlp
Regular Contributor

Just got off the phone with the OC. They said it was reported long ago but no one seems to have that date or information. They also told me they would recall the debt from the CA if I paid them directly but then said if I paid she would indeed tell the CA and report to the CRA that it has been paid. That seems 2 different things to me.

This debt is from RI and the account was closed on 7/29/04. That is all the information I could really get from them other than the current CA info that sent me the letter in the 1st place. I now live in MA btw.

I did send the new CA a DV letter. Not sure what I should do. Wait till I hear back from the new CA about the DV? or pay the OC and hope it works out?? Frustrating as I would like to get a loan for a new car this year and it just dropped my score by about 80 points...

Message 7 of 12
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Whatever EX says for a drop off date, add 30-45-60 days to that. I bet it will be off sometime in mid-April, if not as early as tomorrow (CRAs update all the time, but tomorrow might be key as it is the first and it turns a month older).

Message 8 of 12
natasjlp
Regular Contributor

The only thing that concerns me is it looks like the new CA opened a new record and it just popped up the other day.

Guess I should wait a month or so and see what happenes??

Message 9 of 12
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

I personally would wait if I didn't have any credit committments in the next month or two.

Whenever a CA reports for the first time, their open date as listed on the CR is the date they took over the account. Yes, it appears new and yes a new CA reporting hurts your FICOs, but that doesn't change the DOFD and it can't stay any longer than what it is supposed to.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.