cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can prepaid phone services be used to verify identity with banks or does it need to be postpaid?

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Highlighted

Can prepaid phone services be used to verify identity with banks or does it need to be postpaid?

I've been noticing credit card companies blocking accounts if the name and address on a phone number they already have on file does'nt match the account owner. Tried changing a number on capita one and they blocked the account. Couldn't even put the old number back on because it's registred under a business so does'nt have my personal name on it. 

My question is, will a prepaid phone service work with these verification systems they use if I register it under my personal name and address that the credit card company has on file? Or will they know it's a prepaid phone and not accept it for verification? I know some systems don't accept degital phone numbers like google voice for sign in verification so I assume those definitly dont work in this situation. 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Re: Can prepaid phone services be used to verify identity with banks or does it need to be postpaid?

I have straighttalk and DH has virgin mobile (yes they are still in business lol) we have never had a problem.
EXP 763 TU 793 EQ 734
Message 2 of 3
Highlighted
Super Contributor

Re: Can prepaid phone services be used to verify identity with banks or does it need to be postpaid?

Capital One refused to use my Xfinity Mobile phone number for fraud verification last month which is actually postpaid service but they took both my Google Voice and Xfinity Mobile numbers for account authentication after the fact. 

Synchrony ended up forcing me to get a code in the mail when I used my Google Voice but they took my XM number no problem. 

Like all things, it's YEMV. Capital One was claiming that my XM number was too new to be used for fraud verification -- it will be two years I've had that number in September and it's on my credit report along with Google Voice which I've had since 2007/2008 when it was Grand Central. They are all getting to be sticklers about this nonsense. 

01/2019:
02/2020:

Closed: CareCredit $10K, B&H Payboo $7500
Hover over my cards to see my limits!
Goal cards: Cash+, Freedom.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.