Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge Off Questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Charge Off Questions

I have two questions on charge-offs as I work on cleaning up my reports.

1)  If the monthly reporting does not reflect that it is a charge off it is only stated in the payment status, does that get scored as a charge-off or no?  I actually have two accounts reporting like this.  

2)  If an account has been marked as a charge-off and is reporting that way monthly, can they report further late payments?  Example:  the account shows as C/O June 2016-October 2016.  I then began making monthly payments and it was then reporting as ok until I paid it off in June 2017 and they marked May 2017 as a late payment.  I'm not sure I want to stir the pot and risk having them report it as a C/O all the way through June, but I also don't want to get dinged for that erroneous late payment in May.  I have tried speaking with this company directly and they were not much help and basically insinuated that if it were "corrected" I would be worse off due to the continual late reporting.  The account will remain until 12/22, so this one will hurt me for a while.

1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Charge Off Questions

Once an account becomes delinquent, monthly reporting thereafter reports the current status as delinquent, regardless of whether a payment was made, unless the payment was sufficient to meet the min required to return the account to pays as agreed, good standing.

There are two ways of reporting a current delinquency status of an account.

One is to report that it remains delinquent from the intial date, and show the number of days since the initial delinquency (i.e., 120 days late).

The other is to report that it remains delinquent, but to state that it has reached the age of delinquency that permits the statement that it is not expected to be repaid, rather than continuing to show the days since initial delinquency (i.e., reporting delinquency status as ""CO").

Nothing precludes a creditor from reporting delinquency in a given month either in terms of days since initial delinquency, or as broadly being seriously delinquent without liklihood of being repaid.

If you would prefer to see "CO" rather than "180-late," the creditor might oblige if you assert they cannot report days since intial delinquency, a CO is generally considered a more derogatory status, so I would not recommend requesting that alternate form of delinquency ststus.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.