Did you mean: 

Charged off account not showing on CR

tag
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Charged off account not showing on CR

cheddar wrote:

llecs wrote:
A CA can still engage in collection activities even if the 7 yrs for CRTP expired and SOL expired. They just can't sue.

To be clear, they can still sue if they are outside of SOL, and if you don't show up, they will get a default judgment.  If you do show up, however, you have SOL statutes as an affirmative defense.

The SOL statutes don't prevent them from suing.  They just prevent them from winning, IF you are there to fight it.

Good point! CA's, esp., have a convenient way of fudging forgetting DOFD.
Message 11 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Charged off account not showing on CR

Ok, you're saying send them a dv letter, certified mail? Which would ask them to verify the debt correct. I'm trying to remember but I think that the family member at some point made a couple of payments on it before I ever found out about it, and maybe even after. I think that's why I never filed a police report. Would payments on the account at any point in time, mean that I accepted the debt as my own? I'm sure I told the cc company that this was not my debt in the first place. So once it was off of my credit reports I forgot all about it. I really don't want to open this up because I don't want to end up paying them. What if I just don't respond? Although, I don't want the collection showing up on my CR now.

Message Edited by tell163 on 03-12-2008 08:45 PM
Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.