Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clarification on Mortgage "30 Days Late"

tag
Adalen
Frequent Contributor

Clarification on Mortgage "30 Days Late"

I have three 30 day lates reporting from my mortgage company. One a year from 2016-2018. All three are the result of typos on my part. I incorrectly entered my account number and the payment wasn't taken. I tend to pay closer to mid-month, so when I did realize and correct these errors, it was past the "grace period" date. Payments were still made before the end of the month.

For instance: My mortgage was due January 1, 2018. Late fee went into effect January 17, 2018. Successful payment (with fee) was made January 17, 2018. This is marked as 30 days late on my credit report.

I just want to confirm that this is inaccurate reporting to CRAs, as payments were made before the 30 day mark.

I sent a "goodwill" letter to my mortgage company about two weeks ago, asking if they'd remove these lates, and so far have only received a letter stating they will forward it to the appropriate department. But after going in and reviewing the dates in which these payments and the late fees were paid, it seems like they aren't even accurate to begin with.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Clarification on Mortgage "30 Days Late"

@Adalen wrote:

I have three 30 day lates reporting from my mortgage company. One a year from 2016-2018. All three are the result of typos on my part. I incorrectly entered my account number and the payment wasn't taken. I tend to pay closer to mid-month, so when I did realize and correct these errors, it was past the "grace period" date. Payments were still made before the end of the month.

For instance: My mortgage was due January 1, 2018. Late fee went into effect January 17, 2018. Successful payment (with fee) was made January 17, 2018. This is marked as 30 days late on my credit report.

I just want to confirm that this is inaccurate reporting to CRAs, as payments were made before the 30 day mark.

I sent a "goodwill" letter to my mortgage company about two weeks ago, asking if they'd remove these lates, and so far have only received a letter stating they will forward it to the appropriate department. But after going in and reviewing the dates in which these payments and the late fees were paid, it seems like they aren't even accurate to begin with.

Your conclusion is correct it would be inaccurate reporting and if you have the paperwork to back it up send copies with demand for correction to the CRAs.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.