Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection: Last Reported vs. Opened Date

tag
righthererightnow
Frequent Contributor

Collection: Last Reported vs. Opened Date

I paid off a collection that I should have let fall away with time. It's 'last reported' as of this year (2016, paid 2016). But its 'opened' date (moved to collection) on my credit report is listed as 2010. When will this item fall off of my report?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Collection: Last Reported vs. Opened Date

Neither of those dates is relevant to credit report exclusion of a collection.

Collections are excluded no later than 7 years plus 180 days (and usually at 7 years) from the date of first delinquency (DOFD) on the account that created the debt.

No other date is relevant to exclusion of a collection.

Message 2 of 6
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Agree. The original DOD should stand regardless. Furthermore, if it is paid, you could send a GW deletion letter at this point.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 3 of 6
righthererightnow
Frequent Contributor

Thank you both for this. I was worried that paying off the debt would extend the limitations on collection reporting. I'll have to hunt down my DOFD. (I've already written several GW letters, and called. I am out of options on that).

Message 4 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If you still have a freebie remaining at annualcreditreport.com, order a copy of your report from that site.

It will usually show the DOFD.

Add 7 years to the DOFD, and that will be the approx date that the CRA will usually exclude.

Message 5 of 6
righthererightnow
Frequent Contributor

Good tip! I'll look into that right now... I think I have one left.

Also, re-found this thread, good info on DOFD vs. Date Assigned:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/DOLA-DOFD-SOL-AHHHH/m-p/13384/thread-id/8713

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.