Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collections Question

tag
jstap01
New Contributor

Collections Question

I received a letter via USPS yesterday for a CA stating that they have been "engaged" to collect a debt for a past creditor.  The past creditor doesn't show up on my credit report.  Should I DV this or ignore since it is not on my credit report?

Thanks

Starting Score: EXP - 561, EQ - 590, TU - 573
Current Score: EX - 739, EQ - 756, TU - 708
Goal Score: 715 Across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Collections Question

If it is not past CRTP and you ignore it, it will show up on your reports, more than likely.

Is this your account? Do you know what DOFD is? What DOLA is? SOL?

Message 2 of 4
jstap01
New Contributor

I am not sure if it is mine or not.  That being said, I am not sure of DOFD.  Given the size of the debt, I have not had that much debt with one company since I got out of control in college (10+ years ago).

Starting Score: EXP - 561, EQ - 590, TU - 573
Current Score: EX - 739, EQ - 756, TU - 708
Goal Score: 715 Across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did it list the creditor or any dates?

Was this creditor ever on your report?

As for the size..........I've heard of $200 debts being $2000 debts due to fees and penalties.

You need to DV, this keeps them from reporting until they validate. SOL is important to know, but if it isn't on your report and you don't remember it for sure, it is going to be hard to know this.

You can try calling the OC and get some information if the letter provided an account #. I feel safe calling OC's, but not CAs. OC's are less likely to lie/deceive.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.